Chapter Twenty Four

****

****

"When I tell you to run...you run." Merle had whispered to his brother as they were being escorted by Colman and his men.

"I'm not leaving without you." Daryl furrowed his brows, leaning in to his brother as he spoke.

"Shut up, boy."

"It's best you both shut up." Colman said after rolling his eyes at Merle's instruction to his younger brother. There was no where to run to, Colman thought to himself.

Upon reaching their destination, which was at an open field at Althea's community, Colman stopped and turned towards the two brothers.

"We don't take it lightly when our inhabiters try to escape." Colman said with his hands behind his back.

"Inhabiters?" Merle scoffed.

"Would you prefer if I call you a prisoner?" Colman spat back.

"That's what we are." Daryl answered rather aggressively and with a signal from Colman, one of his men slammed Daryl to the ground.

"Now— Althea's friends are expecting you and your people in a day. But unfortunately I have to deliver less than they expect."

"This...this is your human trafficking activities, ain't it?" Merle asked but was left unanswered.

"Inhabiters attempting to escape will face death." Colman continued as he ignored Merle's question.

"Come on, pretty boy. It wasn't that serious— we failed at escaping. Let us go this time." Daryl furrowed at his brother's light tone.

"No." Colman said aggressively.

"We didn't know the rules." Merle shrugged before continuing.

One of Colman's men dragged Daryl back on his feet before facing him in front of Merle.

"Because we are still kind people— you have a minute to say your last words to the other."

"This is bullshit." Daryl said gruffly as he eyed Colman.

"You reap what you sow, Daryl." Colman's men had their guns up at each of the Dixon's head, ready to eliminate. "I'm counting."

Merle flashed a crooked smile at his brother while he secretly fumbled in his pocket.

"Baby brother— I know I don't show it. But I love you. You take care of yourself...like you've always done. Take care of fireball, too."

Daryl furrowed his brows in confusion as he caught the sincerity in Merle's speech.

"She's one feisty woman...a keeper— back at the camp, if I knew she didn't make your stomach churn and pants bulge...oh, man..." Merle snorted as he shook his head, deciding to cut his speech.

"Daryl— do you have anything to say to your brother?" Colman asked.

Before Daryl could utter a word, Merle put his fist up.

"All my brother's gonna do is...run."

Merle revealed the grenade in his hand that he managed to sneak into his pocket before they were caught.

As Colman's eyes widened at the missing pin that Merle managed to remove from the grenade, Merle moved faster than Colman's men as he pounced at Colman, grabbing him tightly.

———

Rick and Natalia, after finding Carl and Judith, finally noticed how structured and strong Althea's community was. It was amazing to Rick how someone could build a solid community during these difficult times.

Finding Carl and Judith, Rick and Natalia were finally able to breathe. The two kids were pampered and taken care of, compared to the rest of them. Carl had told his aunt and father several times that no one harmed them.

Before the Grimes could make their way back to everyone else, they were caught in the open field of Althea's community.

Rick and Natalia had their hands raised up while Carl had his arms wrapped around his baby sister. The two Grimes were instructed to drop their weapons and surrender but before they could do so, a loud bomb went off and shook the ground.

Rick grabbed his son and Natalia and pushed them away from the men while they were distracted. Before the men could shoot at the Grimes, their family had shown up with guns to fight them back.

"Was that part of the plan? The bomb going off?" Rick said to Michonne as he now fought beside her.

"No. It wasn't."

"Then it should be. Let's blow this place up!"

As the family began to move away from the men that they eliminated together, Natalia held her gun tightly in her hands as she was locked in her place. Glenn had noticed Natalia lagging behind and called her to hurry up. But Natalia had her eyes set on the garden dome Althea had for herself.

"Natalia! What are you doing? Come on!" Glenn ushered Natalia as the man's eyes widened in panic; a part of community was growing in fire and Glenn suspected that it was because of the bomb that exploded.

Natalia, to Glenn, looked like a frightened deer caught in headlights as she shook her head with wide eyes.

"No. The Governor...Althea...We can't leave any survivors." Natalia began to back away before more men ran their direction.

"Natalia!" Glenn screamed for her at the top of his lungs as he watched the woman head towards the dome.

To be continued...