Chapter Nineteen

****

****

Rick, Michonne and Natalia were kept in separate rooms the size of shoeboxes in different areas, far away from each other. Colman had marked them the 'A's' that needed to be separated from everyone else.

However, for the rest of the family, they were locked up in pairs. Merle was paired with Glenn while Daryl was paired with Johnny. Tyreese was paired with Tara while Sasha was with Eugene, Abraham with Carol and Rosita and Maggie together.

Carl and Judith, different from the rest, were treated far more kindly. Carl was given a room with a bed and a baby's crib beside his, for Judith.

A tray of snacks was already placed on his nightstand with a jug of water. Colman had instructed Carl to take a bath before meeting Colman's leader.

Carl tried to open the door several times but it was locked, the boy looked around the room and noticed that there was no window he could escape from.

"There's no point in escaping." Colman later appeared. "Come on— she's waiting for you."

When Colman brought in the tightly knit family, they were all blindfolded and didn't see the odd yet beautiful structures of houses around them. Carl was the first to witness such odd wonder.

They made a part of the woods theirs— they built tree houses and built some homes themselves. Carl noticed that the houses that were built were farmers' while the men who did the heavy lifting lived separately from them. Their little made town was connected to a botanical garden which was surrounded by the men and woman who took them in.

Colman lead Carl, who carried Judith in his arms, inside the dome— upon entering the bright area, Carl looked around to see that they were surrounded by all kind of plants while a very long oak table was placed in the middle of it all. Sitting at the very end was a woman with striking eyes and short blonde hair. Just like Colman, she wore the black heavy suit.

"Carl Grimes and baby Judith Grimes." The woman greeted him as her voice echoed throughout the dome. "I've been waiting for the two of you, for a very long time."

Carl, however, had not said anything. Colman ushered Carl to sit down opposite of the odd woman as he later stood by the door.

On the table, Carl noticed the abundance of protein that was served for the singular woman. The woman instantly noticed Carl's hungry eyes and cracked a crooked smile.

"It's for me and you. Dig in, Carl." The woman urged, but Carl did not move a limb.

"Where are my manners? I'm Althea— I run this place." Still Carl did not speak a word.

"My community is very special, Carl." Althea said as she began to cut through her steak. "I've worked very hard to build this place. A place for my community to call home. We have farmers who know how to build and cultivate and we have military trained men and women to keep us safe. It's just what you need."