Prologue

A h/l h/c haired girl lays weakly on a futon. She's down with a high fever that made both of her parents worried for her well-being. She would try to tell them that she'll be all right every now and then as to not make them feel worry for her. But as the days go by, her sickness only worsens.

Her mother is currently wringing the water from the wet towel she had been using on Y/N. She gently place the towel back on Y/N's forehead. Y/N let out a sigh as she appreciate the cool sensation the wet towel gave her.

"I'm sorry we couldn't afford to get a doctor for you, honey..." her mother said. Y/N open her eyes to look at her mother. Her mother place a hand on her head, as she gently caress her h/c hair. "Your father is searching for some medicinal herb that'll hopefully help your fever. It's the best we can provide for you, honey..." she said.

"It's okay, mom. I'm gonna be okay..." she said. She keeps saying 'I'm okay' for many times. But even she starts to doubt it. "I think I'm just going to sleep while I wait for dad to come back..." she said. Her mother only smiles and nods her head. She smiles weakly at her mother. She slowly closes her eyes as she drift off to sleep.

***

Y/N slowly awakens from her deep sleep by a light shake on her shoulder. She slowly opens her eyes. "Mom? Dad?" She called out.

"We're here, honey... are you in pain?" Her mother asked, worriedly. Y/N slowly sits up as she turn her head around. She reaches out which makes her mother confused.

"Where, mom? It's dark. Why's everything so dark?" Y/N said. Her mother and father turn their heads to look at each other, in shock. "Mom? Dad? Please say something... I'm scared" she said, her voice cracking a little.

"Honey, it's not dark. The candles are on" her father said. Y/N feels her breathing growing heavier. He gently places a hand on Y/N's head.

"But I can't see anything..." she said. She lift her hand, waving it in front of her eyes. Tears starts to fill her eyes as she finally realize what's happening to her. "Mom... dad. I'm... I'm blind! I can't see anything. I can't see!" She cried out. She feels pairs of arms going around her. She burst into tears as she starts to cry. Her parents hold her tightly as an attempt to get her to calm down.

A Few Years Later

Y/N kneels down in the middle of the flower field. She have grown into a beautiful lady. A soft smile is present on her face as she enjoy the delightful scent from all the flowers around her.

"How beautiful..." she said to herself. She gently traces the petal of the flower in her hand. She can visualize the shapes of the flower she's holding in her hands, thanks to her sharp senses. "If only I can see your colors too..." she said, letting out a sad sigh. It's been 5 years since she lost her sight. She's now Y/A years old.

A soft noise catches her attention. A smile starts to form on her lips. "A squirrel?" She said to herself. She slowly lowers her hand. She feels the squirrel slowly climbs up her hand, making her giggle at the ticklish sensation of the squirrel's small paws. "Hello..." she said, softly. The squirrel lets out a soft squeaks, making her giggle softly. She lifted her hand, gently placing it on the squirrel as she caress its fur gently.

Even though she had grown used to only seeing things in darkness. She can't lie to herself that deep within her heart, she still wishes she could see like normal people could. But there's nothing much she can do. So the only thing she can... is to continue living her life.

*to be continued*