*Chapter 29: Never Tear Us Apart Pt.II

What I've felt, what I've known,

Never shined through in what i've shown

Never be, never see

Won't see what might have been

'The Unforgiven' by Metallica

===================================

A couple nights later on New Year's Eve, MTV's Top 10 Best Music Videos of 1991 is playing on the TV while Eren showers and gets ready. His heart is spinning and doing twists as he thinks about spending New Year's Eve with you just like he did in Marley.

He steps out into the living room and towels dry and flips through his pile of CDs before he comes across Kick by INXS and flips it over to look at Never Tear Us Apart in the track list.

He sits on his bed, his heart beating wildly as Metallica's The Unforgiven plays on his CD player.

Eren thinks about your first wedding song, that first one you two danced to on that bridge back during New Year's Eve 2024. Exchanging rings as you two stood on the Charles bridge by yourselves in Marley. Kissing during the countdown and fireworks before going home to try and start a family together, not knowing that you already had.

That was by far, the happiest moment in Eren's brief life, above his proposal to Mikasa or your official wedding ceremony, or even hearing you tell him about your good news on that beach and on that train platform all those lifetimes ago.

Now he can close his eyes and see you two kissing under the shooting stars and the fireworks, not giving a fuck about anything except being with each other. He'd give anything in the world to go back to that bridge, to meet you on that bridge again. He imagines meeting you on the Charles in the future, giving you one last hug goodbye before he heads off to hell. That's his wish more than anything, to have a final goodbye with you on that bridge where you two first married.

Eren's heart flutters hard as he thinks, genuinely thinks where he can go from here. He enjoys being friends with you, he really does. But he hates not being more, just as much as he hates not being able to tell you who he really is. He hates watching you suffer alone in silence, tackling the weight of not fully knowing who you are.

He gets changed into a nicer black turtleneck sweater and ironed black pants and pulls his hair into a clean manbun. The whole time, his heart beats heavy in chest and yet somehow races at the same time. He pulls on his long black coat and takes one last look at his place before leaving.

He walks to your place, keeping his hands in his pockets as a chilly wind blows through Lower Manhattan. He passes a florist opened late for the night and quickly goes in and grabs a bouquet.

------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, you're playing Because the Night by Patti Smith, singing along as you grin and examine yourself in the mirror. 

♫ Take me now baby here as I am

Pull me close, try and understand

Desire is hunger is the fire I breathe

Love is a banquet on which we feed 

You decide to put on one of your nicest black velvet dresses, backless with a sweetheart neckline and sheer lace sleeves that droop off your arms. You run your hands over it, feeling a certain level of anxiety and you're not even sure why. All you know is that tonight you're spending New Year's Eve with Eren and that feels...official. Too official... and even though you feel like you should step back and tell him you two are getting too close for friends, there's a part of you that doesn't want to. And that part of you burns as hot as fire tonight, unwilling to be doused.