*Chapter 13: Love Will Tear Us Apart

Do you cry out in your sleep, all my failings exposed?
There's a taste in my mouth as desperation takes hold
Just that something so good, just can't function no more

'Love Will Tear Us Apart' by Joy Division

=========================================

It's a bright and sunny day in late September and you find yourself driving through the streets of Los Angeles, heading out to the city of Inglewood. You smile through your dark sunglasses as you roll up to a high school on a Thursday morning, class already in session.

You walk through a high school's hallway, passing students bent over their books or goofing off in classes. You pass the gymnasium where students play basketball, and the empty theatre till you make your way out to the school's state-of-the-art football field. You watch quietly as the football team do laps and passes around the field, over-exerting themselves. Some of these players are working their asses off to get good enough to be noticed by recruiters coming from colleges around the state. One of these players is 17-year-old Devon and you watch as he groans in pain and holds his chest as he keeps running laps.

"COME ON DEVON, PICK UP THE PACE!" his coach calls out. Devon does that, pushing himself to his limit.

You step onto the field with your heels, wearing a halter top and blue jeans, your hair styled into beach waves. You watch and step out of the way of teammates whizzing past you and come to a stop as Devon runs past you.

"Hi Devon!" you call out cheerfully and the boy turns to look at you, his eyes wrought with confusion.

"Huh? Who are you? You can't be here!" he calls as he turns to you.

"I'm afraid I have to be hun," you smile apologetically and take off your sunglasses. You smile that knowing smile and Devon stops fully and looks at you.

"No..." he says, his face dropping. "You—you can't just show up like this! I'm only 17! I'm graduating next year, I just got my first girlfriend, Coach says I got real promise!"

"I'm so sorry Devon," you say sympathetically, "but your time is up."

Devon sniffs, "But I—I don't wanna go..."

"I know honey," you say sympathetically as you go up to him and hold his hand, helping him to feel a sense of calm. "There's nothing to be afraid of Devon, I'll take you back with me to a place where you'll be able to see your loved ones, you'll be able to say your good-byes to your dad, to your brother, to Stacey..."

"Whe—where is that? Heaven?" Devon cries and you rest your hand on his chest.

"Somewhere like heaven for our people, I'm taking you to the paths. It's a place for all people with Eldian blood..."

The boy shakes his head, "Elda what? What's that? I dunno anything about that..."

"Don't be afraid, I'll show you what it is," you smile gently and take his hand and help him lie down on the green turf.

Devon wipes his eyes, "Can—can you hold my hand... I'm scared..."

"Of course, I can; it's what I'm here for," you soothe and caress his cheek. Soon he sniffs sadly and nods gently, he's ready as much as someone dying at 17 can be. With that you smile gently at him as you press your hand into his chest and breathe in his soul and Devon stares off into the fluffy clouds and blue sky.

"DEVON? DEVON, GET UP, LAPS AIN'T OVER!" his coach calls out

You get up and walk away as you hear his teammates and coach call out Devon's name and soon rush to huddle over him. Your chest swells as you feel his young, active soul within your heart as you pull out your pocketbook to watch Devon's name be replaced with a new one and make your way to your next appointment for the day.