*Chapter 51: Defy Gravity

You're falling out of reach,

Defying gravity.

I know you're out there,

Somewhere out there...

'Somewhere Out There' by Our Lady Peace

======================================

The sky is blue, teal blue, and a white bird lets out a lonely cry as it flies over a scene of destruction that spreads out far and wide. Millions of Titans keep marching on as it flies over hundreds of miles of trampled down earth before it reaches the forefront of the army, the gigantic, monstrous Founding Titan. The ghastly millipede-like creature keeps crawling forward on its rib cage as one by one all its wall titans suddenly come to a standstill. All while a smaller man in ODM gear begins to make his way forward, his mind intent on destroying the nape of his friend's neck.

All the while, you hear the sounds of waves crashing into the shore and the sound of white birds, those same white birds flying above you and calling out to you as the blazing sun shines the last of its warmth across your face.

"Meet me at the beach..."

You hear these words from far away, so far away that you can barely register them as you slowly open your eyes to find yourself staring at the dark ceiling above you as you lay inside your home in the paths. The sounds of your ocean run through the small living space as you groan and steadily shuffle yourself to move up and sit against the open-door frame that leads out to the waters just a few feet from your beach house. You watch the starry sky and the starry water quietly as your hand absentmindedly brushes your swelling belly.

All while your mind raises and thinks of the encounter with that man from weeks earlier, the manbun with shades covering his eyes... Eren was his name. Something, there was something about him. Something that felt so... so familiar to you but you had never seen that man before... he claimed to recognize you from the hospital, but you didn't recognize him at all. His face blended too much with the dozens and dozens of other faces you'd see each and every day. But he recognized you, and what's more, after this last encounter, you haven't forgotten him. No, quite the opposite, you can't stop thinking about him. His features are ingrained into you now, and they won't go away, he won't go away, as if he's insisting that he's not going anywhere.

You feel a small flutter in your tummy, the sweep of a hand across your internal lining, and sigh heavily as you move to get to your feet. You rub your back as you walk over to your three-way mirror and study your shape. Your belly isn't much bigger than perhaps 4 or 5 months along but at this point, it's undeniable that you're expecting. It seems that the child is really starting to move along at a faster pace now, it's grown considerably since the time of Rose's death. You pout slightly at the implication of having this noticeable bump now. It's going to become more and more awkward going out dancing with a baby bump that keeps growing and is impossible to not bring up.

You sigh and pout and rub your shoulders as you feel those tiny hands inside of you brushing your walls. Well... it seems the bars and the clubs are soon to be something else you must give up; especially once this little one is born. You mull it over and without a second thought, go into your closet and grab a purple off-the-shoulder sweater dress. If you're gonna have to say goodbye to that old party life for good, at least you wanna make use of it a few more times. And tonight is Friday, the day you relegate your divine duties elsewhere so you can have go do what you want.

You inspect your hair, it's longer now and somehow there's a pink tint to it. Ever since that day in the park, your hair is turning pinker and pinker, something beyond your control. As you look at it now, you can see the pink is slowly transitioning to red at the roots. It looks strange, like some strange dye job, and you quickly grab a scarf to throw over your head, wrapping it around your neck, and throwing it over your shoulders. You grab a dark pair of sunglasses and your purse and head out into the dark eternal night of the paths.