Chapter 43: Under Ice

⚠️TW: HEAVY MATURE SUBJECT MATTER, PLZ READ A/N SPECIFIC TW TAGS ⚠️

------------------------------------------------------------

The sky is a gloomy grey on a warm spring day in Manhattan and you and Eren wake up on the eve of your death anniversary, feeling just as gloomy. You both make breakfast and eat it quietly on your couch, neither of you up for even making small talk. Instead, you zone out and watch DragonBall Z, neither of you paying much attention to it. Once you're finished eating, you call into work, desperate to work someone's shift tomorrow. Desperate to get your mind off of what you'll have to suffer through tomorrow; a sea of memories of what happened to you that day in the mansion on the cliff. You're asked to work a shift from 11am to 7pm and you gulp hard at that hour.

"Umm... do you think I could work longer?" you ask as Eren looks at you quizzically and you flush and turn from him. "Please Sil... I wouldn't ask but I could use the extra money..."

"Ohhh alright, you wanna work till 1 in the morning?"

"I could go a full 24-hour shift, I don't mind," you say quickly and Eren takes the phone from you.

"Hey Sil, Eury forgot that she has doctor's appointments all day tomorrow, so she can't come in after all."

"Ohhh okay then, she's still coming in today right?"

"Yeah that's fine, she'll be in later," Eren says and hangs up.

"Eren, what the fuck?!" you exclaim. "I wanted to work!"

"You're not working Eury," Eren says firmly. "We already decided we were going to spend the day together. We promised each other we would so why are you trying to back out of it?"

You huff and tearfully cross your arms. "I'm—I'm worried I'm gonna dream about him and obsess over him all day tomorrow. I can't... I can't think about that day again..." you whimper before turning to Eren desperately and grabbing his hands. "Eren... I—I need you to do something for me... I really need you to do something for me."

"What?" Eren says desperately. "Just say it Eury, I'll do anything."

"I... I need you to put me to sleep for the day," you weep wretchedly. "Put me to sleep, send me to the paths if you can. I—I can't relive that day again Eren! I just can't sit through 7 o'clock, I'm scared that I'll lose my mind! I wanna sleep and I don't want to wake until the next day..."

You collapse into Eren's arms, sobbing pitifully as he holds you and he breathes in deep. "Is this because of that dream you had honey?"

"It is," you whimper. "It's freaked me out so much, I just can't relive that day Eren..."

Eren nods sadly, "You won't have to, I promise that I'll put you under, I'll put us both under..."

"You—you will?"

"Yeah," Eren says and hugs you tight. "I'll send you to the paths, but I won't make you go alone. I'll come with you and keep you safe. I promise..."

You two spend the day going to the library and then grocery shopping. You head to Time's Square to check out some shops, passing regular stores located in between massage parlours and adult movie theatres as you do. Later on, you two drive Eren's motorcycle through Manhattan and Brooklyn, just letting yourself get lost in the sights all around you before Eren drops you off for your evening to late-night shift at work. Come 2am, he walks up to the café and walks in, smiling at you as you read behind the counter.

"Hey babe," he says gently as you lean in and kiss him. "How's work been?"

"Slow as ever," you sigh as you reach out and hold his hands. "But not so bad now that you're here... Are we sure we'll find each other in the paths tonight?"