Chapter 17: Make a Deal with God

⚠️TW: HEAVY MATURE SUBJECT MATTER, PLZ READ A/N SPECIFIC TW TAGS ⚠️

--------------------------------------------------------------

 And if I only could
I'd make a deal with God
And I'd get Him to swap our places 

'Running Up That Hill' by Kate Bush

========================================

"YMIR!" you scream angrily. "FOUNDER YMIR! SHOW YOURSELF TO ME!"

You walk, your chest heaving angrily. You walk and you walk and you walk. You walk for hours, calling out Ymir's name and finally see her walking towards you from the ultrabright coordinate. At once, your feelings of fury turn to impassioned sorrow and you break down and sob and run up to her. You run up and throw yourself at her feet, sobbing in furious tears.

"Founder Ymir!" you sob in reverence. "I know you created me and granted me life anew and I am beyond grateful for the gifts I've received but I beg you! I can't go on like this! I can't go on collecting souls! I want my children back! My heart can't go on like this! I need them and they need me! I cannot go another minute without them!"

You look up into her darkened eyes, your cheeks soaking wet. "I thought he loved me, but he hates me! I know he hates me! And I despise him! Let me be rid of him! Let me never gaze upon his face with love again! Let me grant his wish and show him what life would be like if we never met and let him forever be haunted by what he sees! Let him live with his shame and scrub him from my heart and mind forever! Please! Let me be free of him once and for all! Because if I see him again, I'll destroy every last breath of humanity in my rage and grief!"

You grovel and sob and lower your head in respect. "Please Great Founder! I know you understand, one victim, one mother to another! I need my freedom; I need my children!"

Ymir stands before you for a moment and sniffles and cries in her own grief and slowly rests her hand on your head and nods quietly and you sniffle and smile gratefully. "Tha—thank you Ymir! Thank you for this! I'll go to him and bid him farewell and then be gone from him forever! Just as he wants!"

--------------------------------------------------------------

The evening of the eruption, the city of Stohess is under caution and an evacuation notice as everyone from citizens to reporters to government agents watches the dangerously active twin volcanos. Ash and smoke continue to billow out of their top, mushrooming up into the stratosphere and across the island. It reaches past the ocean and over Marley and surrounding continents, leaving them all under a dark thick thunderous ash cloud that turns day into lightning-fuelled night and snows down volcanic ash on everyone and everything.

Eren idiotically drives his Jaguar around looking for engagement rings, embarrassed that he had none to give to Mikasa when he proposed. In his passionate impatience to hear her answer, he forgot to buy her the one thing he should have had on him. At least this time he won't make the mistake of buying gaudy couple rings like he did with you. No, she deserves the best ring.

Eren thinks back on his mom's ring and imagines it on Mikasa's hand before shaking his head in disgust. That ring was buried with you, it stays with you. Even Eren wouldn't go that far. He just now needs to find a ring that's equal or better. He drives around only for half an hour, his face hidden in a mask to combat the ash as he listens to the radio DJ.

"It appears that there's no sign of when the tremors or eruption will dissappate so authorities have ordered an evacuation of Stohess and all surrounding areas. Still no signs of another big wave but the beaches have been shut down as they are still flooded. As for the rest of Paradis Island, the environmental agency has called a level 3 advisory, do not go out unless absolutely necessary. School has been cancelled, businesses and government buildings shut down. There's been an influx of 9-1-1 calls for car accidents so don't crowd up the lines. If you are outside and you don't need to be, GO HOME. "