Chapter 15: Intrusive Thoughts

As we die, both you and I

With my head in my hands, I sit and cry

'Don't Speak' by No Doubt

=============================================

It's swelteringly hot and incredibly bright and the sky blazes teal over a red expanse of desert. Upon the arid landscape sits scattered buttes, rock formations, and mesas jutting into the sky. Upon one mesa sits a military airship base with soldiers anxiously running back and forth between airship hangers. A group of soldiers runs near the cliffs edge as their officer runs along side them, shouting at them to get more barrels of gun powder quickly. One soldier's eyes scan out to look across the desert landscape and he stops abruptly, soldiers behind him banging into him before they can stop themselves.

"STOP! LOOK!" he shouts anxiously and points to a cloud of thick steam beginning to appear over the horizon. His surrounding comrades look off and they all gasp in panic when they realize what's coming for them. The Rumbling is slowly making its way to Fort Salta, and it won't be long until it arrives.

"IT'S HERE! READY THE AIRSHIPS FOR COUNTER-ATTACK!" one of the commanders shouts as air raid sirens begin sounding off throughout the base.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile in your world the days grow long as summer comes back to Paradis Island in full force. The sun blazes down on Shiganshina one hot afternoon in May. In the affluent district of Santa Sina, there's a knock on the door and a ringing of the doorbell at the Jaeger residence.

"JUST A SEC!" a woman calls out. She comes out of the bathroom flustered, walking quickly. She's shorter with long black dishevelled hair, and dark circles under her big brown eyes. She gets on her tip toes to check the entrance peephole before sighing heavily. "ZEKE! HE'S HERE! Finally."

She opens the door, putting on a frown. "Eren, good of you to finally show up..."

Eren smiles uncomfortably, wearing a black band tank top with jeans,  his hair up in its man bun. "Yeah, sorry Pieck... I've been exhausted lately..."

"Mmhmm," Pieck hums curtly, raising an eyebrow as Zeke comes down the stairs to stand at the door. He raises his own eyebrow and the couple both look at Eren in aggravated silence. He shifts in irritation.

"Well? Are you guys just gonna stand there or are you gonna let me in?"

"You were supposed to come here on April 1st Eren. It's now May 23rd," Zeke says in displeasure.

Eren looks away like a scolded child, his cheeks flushing. "Sorry. You know I've been busy with school..."

Pieck rolls her eyes and scoffs in disgust. She turns and walks away, "I'm gonna make dinner hon, chicken alfredo sound good?"

"Yeah, sounds great babe!" Zeke calls out and goes to shut the door and Eren lets out a protest and puts his foot in the door frame.

"Fuck I said I'm sorry Zeke! The fuck else am I supposed to say?!"

"You aren't supposed to say anything Eren!" Zeke shouts as he boots his brother's foot, trying to push it back. "You were supposed to be here in April! You were supposed to be here in March when he came to visit!"

Eren groans in frustration and forces the door open, and his brother lets out a protest as his younger brother walks in. "I'm here now! Can't you just be fucking happy I even showed up?!"

"Sorry but I'm fresh out of happiness Eren!" Zeke shouts angrily.

Eren scoffs in bitterness. "You know, I never fucking asked you to get involved Zeke! I never fucking asked you once to run a fucking foundation or even fucking start one! That was your idea, that was fucking his idea!"

"Don't fucking talk to him like that!" Pieck shouts angrily as she comes out of the kitchen. "Who the fuck do you think you are?! You wanna forget your wife and child and pretend they never existed, that's your bullshit! But she was Zeke's family and Zeke's mine and you won't disrespect my family in front of me! Not while you stand in this fucking house you won't!"