Chapter 33: The Ninth Wave

With just my heart and my mind

I can be driving, driving home

And you asleep on the seat....

Hello Earth by Kate Bush

====================================

"I'm going back to New York Eren..." you whimper, your boombox held against your chest, your eyes unwilling to meet Eren's. "You don't have to come too; I'll be okay now... I just need some time to myself. I'm glad we got the chance to reconcile; I really am, I didn't want to hate you anymore, I don't have room in my heart to hate you anymore. Now go back and be with her, you have my blessing, you both do.... I genuinely hope you two have a good life, I swear to god I do. Take care of yourself Eren...goodbye." With that, you disappear from Eren in the blink of an eye, faster than he can stop you.

You keep your eyes shut as you go away, disappear through space and time and you slowly open them again to see you're standing in your pitch-black living room with the tv and lights off, the records and CDs and mattress still on the floor. You sniffle and sadly put the boombox back in its place and pick up the mattress to put it back on the bed. You feel numb as you look around your home for 50 years, knowing that you could soon lose it... lose it when you're sent back to a life of loneliness back in the paths as your end of the deal for getting a shot at true reconciliation with Eren.

It was bright day in Prague but it's still dark in New York, still an hour before the sky begins to lighten and you sniffle as you strip down naked and climb into bed. You lay in your bed, feeling so terribly miserable and alone. It's hard to believe that only last night you two had renewed your vows on the bridge, only to immediately part ways. At least you've cleared the air though, at least you've found closure, as much as you ever will with Eren.

You listen to the sounds outside and slowly play Running Up The Hill while seeing images of a far-off time and place in your old memories. You see an ancient Egyptian temple, a temple you once called your home. You see yourself standing and looking out at the ancient Alexandrian Lighthouse one fateful night as Eren stands beside you and reaches for your hand. You hold his supportively as you two stare into each other's sad glowing eyes before stoically turning to look out to at the lighthouse, its bright fire blinding your sight as you slowly drift off to sleep.

If only I could,

I'd make a deal with god

And I'd get him to swap our places

Be running up that road

Be running up that hill with no problem

------------------------------------------------------------

Several hours later you wake up to the sounds of the city outside your apartment and moan softly as you rise from your bed and stretch out. You try as hard as you can to remember that dream you had last night, something about a lighthouse? You try and retrieve the memories of that dream but they're gone, like someone's deliberately ripped out their pages.

You spend the day in a state of numb reflection, trying to process what's happened with you and Eren. You try to not think about him as you zone out to muted reruns of Twin Peaks, as Ultravox's Vienna plays loudly on your CD player. You numbly watch a scene of a blonde beauty lying dead on the shore of a lake as sheriff's deputies look her over in shock. You watch the clear plastic tarp she's wrapped in get pulled back revealing dirt and grime imbedded into her cold blue face and limp hair and your mind flashes back to those cold dark waters that kept pulling you down and under 30 years in the future, 2 years in the past.