Light Switch

She quickly brought out her phone. Turning on her phone's torch light, she found the light switch just by the door. She raised her hand to turn it on

"Don't" A voice spoke. It was the voice of a man, deep and husky. Kayla froze immediately on her track
' Is it a men's restroom?, But why is someone here so early with all the lights off, will I get hurt?' She thought and immediately, her survival instincts kicked in causing her to press on the switch.

And in a second, light spread around the room very brightly. She turned around quickly and was shocked. Right some steps away, sat the most beautiful person she had ever seen all her life. His hair was a bit ruffled as some strands fell over his face since his head was a little bit bent downward.

His nose was perfectly molded and pointed. He had very broad shoulders as his arms were folded across his chest. He had a beautiful pair of lips. His eyes were closed.

Kayla stood still in awe. Then slowly his eyelids slid up revealing his white eyes and grey eyeballs, almost like it was see through. He looked straight into her eyes and Kayla held the sides of her shirt squeezing it in fear.

' What has she done? She didn't want to get noticed, but here she was straying into other people's space on her first day'

" Are you deaf?" He asked in an angry tune but still sat there with folded arms
" I... I'm sorry" she stuttered. He stared deep into her eyes. She wanted to look away but felt held, like she was compelled to keep starring.

He scanned her from up down ignoring her apology. Kayla bit her bottom lip nervously
" I... I thought this was a rest room, I... I'm very sorry" she managed to say while stuttering. 

He looked at her like he was disgusted by her as he tilted his head to the side
" So what are you waiting for?" He asked glaring at her. That was probably the deadliest glare she had ever gotten from anyone before, she thought and immediately turned to go out.

" Turn off the light" He said much calmer this time and she quickly turned off the light and tried to hurry out but instead she collided with the door, her head hitting it hard.
" Ouch" she screamed and started struggling to turn on her phone torch since she already turned it off before.

The adrenaline rush in her body made her clumsy. The map and her phone fell from her hand and she immediately bent down to search for them on the floor with her hands since her phone screen had went off as well. She crawled frantically, causing screeching noises on the floor. She cursed under her breath at this disaster. She never planned for such a scene to be taking place on her first day or ever. She could feel tears gathering at the back of her eyes already.

' How was she supposed to find her stuff without a single light in here?' She thought. Frustration overwhelming her.

   The boy who was still seated had become restless. He got tired of her continuous noise making and her presence in the room altogether. He stood up and walked to her and as he stopped by her who was still on the floor, she stood up and softly collided into him.

He became still just like her. He took in heavier and deeper intakes of breath. The space between them was barely a thread. She felt stuck on the spot unable to move back, she expected him to move back but he expected same of her.

He stretched his hand and switched on the light again. Immediately the light came on, Kayla stepped away from him, she looked at his face to see that he was frowning.
' He must be angry at me for stepping into him and disrupting his peace and quiet ' She thought, but little did she know.

" I'm sorry" she said and not wasting anymore time, she picked up her phone and map and hurried away while he stood there, his frown deepened.

  Later that day after classes. In the cafeteria, there were a lot of students seated around tables in groups. Some were still taking their food. It was noisy as everyone were chit chatting. Kayla stood holding a tray as she stood in the line waiting for her turn.

Once she had collected her food, she turned to go using her eyes to search for an empty table but the girl who stood behind her in the line hurried to her and started walking side by side with her

" Hi" she said and Kayla looked at her " Hi"Kayla responded with a polite smile.
" I'm Stella" she introduced
" Kayla. Kayla Miles" Kayla said
" I saw you in our class earlier, you're new here right, do you mind sitting together to eat?" She asked.
"Of course not" Kayla said almost immediately.

She had thought she'd sit alone but luckily. She wouldn't
" Oh great, let's go" Stella said and lead her to a table with four chairs around it. There was another girl and a boy already seated with their food in front of them.

" Hey guys"  Stella said to them and they raised their heads to look at us
" Guys meet Kayla. Kayla meet Riya and Max" Stella introduced and Kayla nodded with a smile.

" Hi" Kayla waved and they smiled back. Stella sat down and gestured for me to sit so I did.
We soon started eating.

     Not long, two boys and a girl dressed like rich gangsters entered the cafeteria walking towards the food counter and most eyes were on them.
" Ugh... Here they are." Riya said and the rest of us looked at them.
" Mr handsome isn't with them?" Stella said.

" I really don't see the reason you guys call him that, yes he's handsome but it's a little overboard when you call him that, like it really isn't called for" Max said in a disgusted tune.
" Oh really, look who's jealous" Riya mocked..

At first I stayed quiet not knowing what to say, but I wanted to know who those people were
" Who are they?" I asked and they finally remembered I was here as they all turned to me

It might seem unsettled and rushed but I promise it gets better.

Please... Vote and Comment 🌷