Past nine

That night. Kayla opened her eyes. She turned on her phone and saw that she was still in YouTube. She looked at the time and it was 8: 48pm. She climbed down her bed.

Why was she always missing lunch? Well . She still had time to get dinner before the curfew. She headed out. There were still people walking about.

She went to the cafeteria. There were only very few people in. The women at the food counter seemed to be packing up already. She quickly ran to them.
" Hey ma'am" Kayla said and one of the women looked at her.
" Yes dear?" She replied

" Do you still have pizza?" Kayla asked.
" Umm no.. so sorry" the woman said.
" Okay. So what's still available?" Kayla asked.
" There's hamburgers.. sushi.. rice..." The woman was listing.
" Okay okay, I'll have a burger then and french fries if that's okay please" Kayla said

The woman immediately started packaging the food. Just then, Kayla realized she wasn't with her purse or any money. She must have just hurriedly left. She was confused on what to do. If she hurried back. They'd close up before she can get back.

Once the woman was done. She placed the packaged food on the counter. " That's all you asked for" she said.
" Ah... Umm ma'am... Can I please run back to get some money. I forgot to bring my purse. I'd be quick I promise" Kayla pleaded.
" I'm so sorry dear.. we're closing right now" the woman replied.

Kayla stood thinking of what to do. But then she heard a voice
" I'll pay for that" the voice said and when Kayla looked, it was Jayden. He looked at her before turning to the woman stretching some money to her.

The woman stared at Jayden. Fear written all over her face
" No no no sir. You don't have to pay. You can take it" she said frightened
' Sir?' Kayla repeated in her mind. The woman was way older than him so why was she so scared and even had to refer to him as sir.

Jayden however took the woman's hand in his staring directly into her eyes as he placed the money in her hand then picked Kayla's food from the counter and looked at her.

" Here" he said handing it over to her. Though Kayla was mad hungry. She didn't want to take it, she didn't want to be indepted to him in any way.
" Thanks but.. I don't need it" Kayla said and turned to go but Jayden held her hand turning her to face him again
" Don't tell me i just wasted my money?" He spoke frowning.

" But I never asked for your help"  Kayla spoke calmly not wanting to offend him. Jayden smiled
" So you're saying you don't want it?" Jayden asked and Kayla nodded.
" Okay. I'll just throw it out then" He said about throwing it into the near by trash can.

" Wait" Kayla screamed loudly. She was hungry. She'd just throw her pride aside for now. She'd pay him back tomorrow, she thought.
" I'll have it" Kayla said cheapishly. Jayden's smile widened as he handed it over to her and she took it.

By now, everyone else inside the cafeteria had all hurried away.
" Make sure you eat. And stop Skipping meals, it's not healthy for you now is it? He said patting her head and she pushed his hand off.

Kayla turned walking away but to her surprise, Jayden was following her. She stopped and turned to him
" What are you doing?" She asked
" Walking you to your dorm" he replied as if it was something he did everyday.
Kayla's eyes widened slightly.
" What?" She almost screamed

" You can't do that, I don't want to be seen walking with you first of all. And then.  You can't follow me to my dorm, boys are not... " Kayla didn't finish as Jayden placed a finger on her lips stopping her from talking.

" Shhh" he started " That rule doesn't apply to me miss Miles. Besides I never said I was going into the dorm" he said. Kayla hit his hand off.
" First off, my name is Kayla" she said pointing a finger at him
" Second, I don't want to be seen walking with you. Don't you get it?" Kayla said trying to whisper.

    Jayden wore a smile just staring at her. He knew he made her uncomfortable. She was yelling at him and simply being rude to him. Things he never tolerated anyone doing, but here he was allowing her disrespect him and he found it amusing. He knew she was scared of him and was trying to avoid him but that wouldn't be happening.

" Miss Miles, it's getting darker. Except you want to be detained. I'd advise you start moving" he said.
" Okay, but please, I can go alone" Kayla said and walked to the door but Jayden still followed her.

Kayla knew there was nothing she could do to stop him from doing what he wanted. She stepped out and couldn't find anyone in sight. It was so quiet. Where had everyone gone to? The wind blew against her hair and she quickly checked her phone for the time. It was just 9:25pm.

It was still a bit early. The curfew was 10:00pm. So why is everyone gone already. She turned around to face Jayden who was standing behind her with both hands in his pockets.
" Where is everyone?" She asked actually curious.
" Probably in their rooms already" Jayden said unbothered.

" But it's just past nine. Why did they go in so early?" Kayla asked again. Only for Jayden to move closer lowering his face to be in same level as hers and stared into her eyes.
" How am I supposed to know that miss Miles. Although we could go to each and everyone of them to ask them" He said. His voice very low.

Kayla stepped away from him dropping her gaze.
" Stop calling me miss Miles" she grumbled.
Jayden stood to his full height again
" To your advantage. You won't be seen walking with me. But if you still don't want to walk with me. I'll leave" He said then attempted walking away.

He knew Kayla was already scared only by not seeing anyone outside.
  Kayla hurried to him holding his arm
" No no no" she said looking up at him.
" What?" He asked. He knew what she wanted but wanted to hear her say it.

Please.... Vote & comment 🧡