009.

CHAPTER 09 - UNDERLYING EMOTIONS
_________

CHAPTER 09 - UNDERLYING EMOTIONS _________

credit: @/RodysanP twt
_________

I hold the handle of the heated pan with my left hand and hold a spatula in my right, stirring the egg. Bacon sizzles from the frying pan, oil jumping onto the apron my brother had urged me to wear just moments prior.

I listen to him rant about his college courses, struggling to understand his complaints as I never went to college and never plan to.

"- and when I ask her to slow down, everyone stares at me with a weird face..." He takes a deep breath, before continuing, "Excuse me for wanting to understand better! It's like listening to her speak alien and trying to understand babble language." His eyes are wide and brown, a slight furrow of his brows expressing the stress he feels.

I sigh, "Glad to see the college life is treating you well." He only whimpers quietly, depressingly leaning his head on the palm of his hand over the kitchen island. His slight, spiky pink hair casts a shadow over his eyes as he faces down. It's styled in an undercut, complimenting his features nicely- which I feel suits him well.

I still remember when he tried growing it out like me; He ended up looking like bubbly aqua-man with no beard and questions of his sexuality.

I snort to myself, reminiscing the memories we share. I'm glad he came over. He's supposed to be staying one or two days more.

I feel the need to ask how it is over at our hometown. I've been gone for a couple years- curious to know how everyone's holding up. Yuji has the heart to come over as much as he can.

"How's ma?"

My brother lifts his head, eyes immediately softening at the mention of mom. "She's okay." I raise a brow, flipping the pieces of bacon to get both sides nicely cooked.  "Just 'okay?'" I turn to him, watching a gentle smile overcome his face. "She still asks for you."

The thought of her wondering how I'm doing fills me with a sense of warmth. I turn back to the stove, nodding my head slowly. There's a small silence between us, yet I know both of our minds are loud with thoughts.

"You takin' good care of her?" I see Yuji nod his head rapidly from my peripheral vision. "Mhm! Come see for yourself." He giggles and I honestly take a second to think about how she might feel if I visit.

With strong doubt, I ask for his reassurance. "You think she'd want me there?"

"Definitely. She misses you a lot, Cho. I'm just glad you won't be so far from us- that way you can visit more...and I don't have to take the train all the time."