011.

CHAPTER 11 - NAIVE
_________

credits: @/omagatokii twt_________

_________

Walking over to the convenience store Choso works at makes my nerves go rogue, a pit forming in my stomach.

Since that night we shared a - what seems to be - a kiss we both wanted, I haven't received a text or call from him. It's even more unusual not seeing him around since he's my neighbor.

It's obvious he's purposely avoiding me but I haven't reached out, either.

I fidget with my hair tie, approaching the door with the flickering, neon 'OPEN' sign on the other side. I grab the handle and pull it open. The familiar ring of the bell makes my anxiety grow.

I hesitantly stick my head out to get a good glimpse of who's behind the counter.

I release a breath I didn't know I was holding at the sight of a completely different man. Though, a small part of me hoped it would be the guy with two messy buns and purple bags.

Sighing, I make my way over to the stranger.

"Hi, could I get a pack?" I point over his shoulder to the row of cigarettes. He greets me and places a single pack on the counter. After he requests my identification and informs me of the amount due, he takes note of my character.

"Rough night?"

I raise a brow as I hand the old man my totally real ID. "Huh?" He shrugs, ringing it up and putting it in a bag. "You look a little bummed out." He takes the receipt from the machine and places it in the bag. I confess, "A little."

"I'm sorry about that...we all have our days. I hope you have a good rest of your night, missy." Yeah, except my 'days' are everyday. "It's okay. You, too."

Taking the plastic bag in hand, I'm quick to walk out of the store.

I stand by the redbox machine just outside and hold the newly bought cigarette between my fingers, igniting the other end with a purple lighter- Chosos purple lighter. My hand moves the paper roll up between my lips to numb myself for the time being.

I just don't understand how he could act like he wanted me, then neglect the effort to reach out for a week.

I take a quick inhale, the burn of a glowing ember at the tip followed by falling ash. I puff out the smoke, repeating this action til' my lids feel heavy.