𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑿𝑽

CHAPTER XV
300 AFTER CONQUEST

JON

The fire that crackled in the hearth was the only real sound that surrounded the pair as they sat quietly in the room together. Jon had asked for bowls of the stew from the previous meal to be brought, with the girl he knew from a past life looking half-starved. Alys picked at the food, not really touching it too much. Jon did the same in an awkward manner before sighing, setting his bowl aside as he looked to the Karstark.

"I don't know where to start.."

He said, trailing off. Alys smiled lightly, glancing at Jon with the shake of her head.

"Do you remember the night you had asked me to dance?"

Of course I do, Jon smiled. He had been an idiot that night. Though one could expect that, he was only fourteen.

"I didn't even really ask properly."

"No, because Robb had to.."

It was her turn now to have her words fall silent at the mention of his younger brother. Jon clenched his fists, frowning and taking a deep breath, closing his eyes at the memories before opening them once more.

"Those cowards... Boltons, Lannisters, Freys.. they couldn't face him like men so they stabbed him in the back like cowards. Fucking cravens.."

"I know, Jon. I know. One day they'll pay for it."

They will, he thought, fist still clenched. Sighing, Jon shook his head.

"What has been happening? What really goes on in the North?"

Jon shook his head.

"What King Stannis tells us is very little, what the Red Woman speaks of, the visions in the flames cannot be trusted and what the Winter Wolves only have so much information themselves. But you, Alys..have been there."

"I have..and it's not good."

She spoke sadly, her grey-blue eyes casting down to the floor, staring at it as she clenched her fists suddenly in anger as well.

"My own uncle wishes to have me wed to his son, to make his claim to Karhold more legitimate, as I am the only living child to my late father."

"Rickard Karstark. He—"

"Betrayed his King."

That surprised Jon. Alys shook her head, a sad look in her eyes, but one with understanding.

"My father betrayed Robb by going behind his back..taking vengeance on those poor Lannister boys."

"His sons..your brothers. Eddard and Torrhen. Do you..do you know how they died?"

He asked, hesitant. He remembered only after the battle was over, seeing the corpses where he had been only minutes prior fighting the small Lannister host. Alys nodded.

"The Kingslayer... He killed them at the Whispering Wood."

"Aye, it's true... But Eddard and Torrhen were by my side for most of the battle."