SIXTEEN

That night, at dinner, Cady begins telling mum and dad that she can't go to Madisons.

"Because I told my friend Janis I'd go to her art show." She explains. At least she's going.

"We've had these tickets for months." Mum says, gesturing with her hands.

"Well, Y/n. Will you be there with her?" Dad asks. I nod.

"Yeah, of course." I speak. Dad shrugs and looks to mum who shakes her head. 

"You love Ladysmith Black Mambazo." Mum continues.

"But she's my friend, and I made her a promise." Cady's saying a lot of things she's gotta live up to.

"I think they're old enough to spend one night of their own." Dad says, taking a drink from his glass. Mum looks at dad, Cady, and I in defeat.

--------------------------------+

"Hey, taking a sick day?" I'm currently in the bathroom on the phone with Regina.

"Yeah, I just can't do school today..." She says. She sounds horrible.

"Mmm... I wish I could invite you over but I'm going to Janis' art show tonight." I say, looking in the mirror and fixing my hair.

"Well... I hope you enjoy it."

"Hey! Look at you. You didn't make any comment about her being a weirdo."

"What can I say? I like to keep the wife happy."

"Wife? Oooohhhh." I lean against the wall. Someone walks in and gives me a weird look before going into the stall. "Okay, I should probably go. In a few minutes I'll have to think of an excuse."

"Okay. Well, I miss you."

"Miss you too."

We say our goodbyes and hang up. Back to class, I guess.

--------------------------------+

"Bye." Cady waves to mum and dad as they drive off. I wave as well. I open my mouth to ask Cady when the art show is, but another car pulls up with Gretchen and Karen in it.

"What's going on?" I ask as they get out of the car.

"Party time!" Karen says, clapping her hands.

I follow Cady to her room. "When's Janis' art show?"

"I don't know..." She says, taking out a dress from her closet. I recognize it as a dress that was bought on a shopping trip with the plastics.

"What do you mean you don't know, where's the flyer?" She sighs and turns to me.

"I don't fucking know, okay? Get out of my room!" She gestures for me to leave with her hand. I scoff and leave the room.

I don't have Janis' number, Damian isn't responding to me.

"Hey." I've called Regina. I'm pissed and I need to cool off.

"Y/n, what's up?" She says.

"I'm coming over."

"... Yeah, okay. See you soon."

--------------------------------+

I knock on her massive door and she almost immediately swings it open.

"Hey-"

"Cady lied about going to see Janis' art show to our parents just so she can throw some stupid fucking party!" I rant, walking into the house. She closes the door behind me.

"She threw away the fucking flyer and I don't have Janis' number and Damian isn't responding to me and-" 

"Wait, Cady's having a fucking party?" Regina asks.