the apartment

-Taylors Pov-

I'm nervous. It's not usual for me to have guys over, especially guys I've only recently met. But Travis is on his way over and there is no backing out now. well technically I could just refuse to open the door, but that sounds more childish than anything else.

My phone beeps with an alert from security that they are driving through the garage as we speak. I had a car pick up Travis, it has tinted windows so no one can see him. For all the people outside know it's me in the car, or someone they know I'm close with.

I take a last look around the living room, looking for a stray toy or something along those lines. But there are none. Everything is tucked away in another room. I'm not ready to show Travis all my cards yet, no matter how much I like him already. Some things are better kept in the dark for now.

Before he can even knock, I open the front door and take in the handsome man in front of me. I step aside and let him into the apartment. "so this is my place" I say a little awkwardly. I don't usually bring new people here, it's too big of a risk. But it's also risky to meet Travis in public, some might catch pictures of us before we are ready. Hell, we don't even know if there is a "we" in our future. All I know is that I like him already, and have a crush, but there is so much more that is the foundation of a relationship.

After stepping into the apartment and I close the door he wraps his arms around me. sinking into his embrace I let myself bask in the masculine scent and his strong embrace. It feels safe being tucked against him. It scares me how safe he makes me feel after knowing him for such a short amount of time.

The hug lasts for a long time, and once it ends it lingers on my skin. I want more, but I don't dare take it. instead, I led him into the living room where I had put out snacks on the coffee table.

"your place is amazing," he says as he settles on the couch, and I settle down with a bit of distance between us. "thanks. I've been a part of the interior design of it all. I've had it for years and It keeps developing. I don't know if I will ever truly be done with it."

I had some work done before moving from London, like the room behind the closed door on my left. If he saw it in there, I have some explaining to do, explanations I'm not ready to give him. If we ever get to the point where I have to explain my secret, I need to trust that he will keep my cards close to his chest.

"I had to hire an interior designer for the new house I'm buying. No fucking way I can do that on my own. It would look too plain, not the homey feeling I'm going for. I travel a lot for work so when I'm home I want to feel homey, you know?" he says and grabs some chips before eating a whole fist full in one.

"I get what you mean. I travel so much that at times I can hardly keep track of where I am. I have no idea the milage of my jet, but I'm pretty sure it's a lot" I laugh, and he joins in. flying commercially is not an option for me for security reasons. It's just way too big of a risk for me and for the other passengers. It's also more comfortable to travel on my private jet with all the travel I do, so it's a win-win for me.

"so with all the traveling, how does that work with relationships and stuff? Because I know from my own experience that it's hard. And I can't imagine that it's any easier for you" he says, and he is correct. It is hard to maintain a relationship when you spend so much time jumping between places. But I made it work with Joe for six and a half years before that crashed and burned. It's possible if you put in the effort and prioritize the relationship when you have time off. If you really love someone you make it work in any way, you can.

"It's not easy, but I've made it work. If the foundation isn't there though it doesn't last, I've been through that as well. It can't be some half-assed shit either, you need to be all in and willing to make sacrifices to make things work" I shrug. It's a give and take and you need to trade off on traveling to the other person. There needs to be a balance where you both put in the needed effort to make things work, or else there is no shot in hell that anything will last for the long haul.

"what can get difficult for me is that I have to spend the majority of my time in Kansas City because of practices. So there is less time to fly around during the pre-season and season. It's easier in the off-season but I still have a schedule to keep my body in shape. But I agree, you need to be all in to even consider trying for something" he agrees with me.

It's nice that we both know that travel and time apart are part of any relationship we may or may not end up with. There is just no way around it. I'm on tour for the next year and a half and he has a long season, especially if they make it into the playoffs. Is it even worth it to attempt to build something together? I want it to work because I've developed a crush on him since we first started talking, but it's something different when you commit to someone.

For me to even consider a relationship I have to be all in. There are responsibilities in my life that I need my partner to be all in for if it's even worth considering. That makes it hard because it's something that needs to be talked about but at the same time, I'm trying to protect the secret I keep close to my chest. I need to let him in to build something, but at the same time keep him out to protect her. It's a catch-22 situation, both options have pros and cons.

"to be honest with you I want to try this out, see if we can build on our connection and turn it into something real. But I also need to be upfront about my situation" he adds. I get where he is coming from. Starting something now that we are both so busy isn't going to be a walk in the park. It will be hard to find time to spend together in the middle of everything, but that doesn't mean it's not worth a shot, right? Because it could turn out epic.

"I want that too. it's not the best timing, I'm on tour and you're about to start the new season but I still want to try." I agree with him.

I look him dead in the eyes and let myself get lost in the warmth they radiate. There is something about them that invites me inn, wants me to get as close as possible. My tongue darts out and I lick my lips as I move my gaze down to his lips for a split second before looking at his eyes again. I want to kiss him.

We are sitting here and planning on seeing how things go between us while we haven't even kissed. What if he kisses horribly? No, he can't be bad. Deciding to take the first step I scoot closer and lay a hand against his chest.

I'm so close I can feel his breath on my face and his strong muscles under my fingertips. "are you ever going to kiss me" I let slip and my eyes widen, I didn't mean to say that. his mouth pulls into a wide grin "I was about to" he chuckles.

"so kiss me then" I dare him, and he doesn't hesitate before wrapping a hand around my neck to cradle my head and press his lips against mine. damn, they are soft, like pillows against mine. our lips move together as they get to know one another, first hesitant and then more demanding.

It's about to get good with him slipping his tongue into my mouth when I hear a tiny little voice to my left as it comes down the stairs "Mommy!"