first date

-Travis pov-

Taylor is way more beautiful up close and personal than anyone I've ever met, and I've met my fair share of pretty women. There is something about her that draws you in, the energy she radiates spreads across the room.

"so what do you get up to on your downtime?" I ask her and she stiffens for a moment before calming her features. "this and that. I like spending time with family and friends when I can since I work so much at times."

Just like me, she is crazy busy with work. We are in completely different fields, but our work ethic matches, that I already know. She gives everything her all, you can see that easily when she steps on stage. Watching her perform live was an out-of-body experience. I've never seen a concert where someone was so in tune with the crowd, she had them eating out of the palm of her hand. Some people are just born to be on stage, and she is one of them.

"how about you? I assume you work a lot as well?" she asks me back and I nod "Spend a lot of time on the road during the season. In the off-season I have a lot of free time, so I try to see my nieces and keep up relationships in my life. it's harder during the season so I try to balance work and play during the off-season."

"I get that, it's hard to balance everything. Like right now I'm on tour, and even though I have breaks between different legs it's still a lot of flying across the world. If I didn't have my family on the road with me, I wouldn't see them before I got back. My friends get it, and we find ways to keep in touch, but when I'm working it's hard. I get so invested in it all, give it my all. I don't like doing things half-assed" she says, and I get what she is saying. I'm not someone who half-asses shit either, I prefer to give it everything I have. If I enter into something, it's my sole focus. I don't let balls drop.

**

Talking with Taylor is an effortless flow I wish wouldn't come to an end. but it has to close up for the night. The restaurant is closing soon, and Taylor hinted that she had something else to do as well without actually telling me what it is. I've learned so much about her tonight and there haven't been any awkward breaks. Coming to new York for this was absolutely worth it.

We stand up and she alerts her security she is ready to leave soon. While they are getting things in order for her, I take in her full body for a second. She is gorgeous, drop-dead gorgeous. Not just that but she has this way of carrying herself that I can imagine myself getting addicted to being around. We might be ending things for the night, but I'm counting down the minutes until I can see her again.

"so when can I see you again" I say as I step closer, so close I can smell her flowery perfume.

"soon I hope" I'm taller than her so she tilts her head so she can keep eye contact. Her eyes are a beautiful shade of blue that I could get lost in for hours.

"second date tomorrow? I'm in town for another day" Sadly after that I need to head back home, I can't be away for too long because of practice. I would love to stay and spend more time with her, but my schedule is packed as we gear up for another season. I always put football first, it controls what I do with the rest of my life really. When you're a professional athlete your world sort of revolves around your sport.

"I would like that. I have a coffee date with my friend Blake, but otherwise, I think I can make it work" She smiles up at me and I really want to lean in and kiss her. God, I want to feel those pillow-like lips against mine, but it's too soon. Maybe tomorrow I'll steal a kiss or two so I have something more to remember her by when I'm back home and we only have phones to communicate.

"do you want to stay in and order something? I could come to your place" I suggest, and she tenses for a moment. I don't understand what's wrong with that, why it would make her tense. Maybe she thinks I'm after sex? Which I'm not. Sure I like it just as much as the next guy, but it's not what I'm after here. so far, I really like her and want to spend more time with her and see if there is something between us that could develop.

"I... sure. I'll have a car pick you up. I have a garage the car can go into so no one sees you" she says. We haven't talked about it, but I think without discussing it we have decided to keep this under wraps. I'm not interested in a secret relationship where I have to watch my mouth and actions all the time, but for now, it's good so we can get to know one another without the world watching.

"you sure?" I don't want to pressure her to have me over if that's not something she is ready for. I'm not that kind of guy so I want to make sure she really is okay with it. forcing myself into her life, into her private space, is not my style.

"I am. come over tomorrow" I still sense some hesitation there, but I take her word for what they are, that she wants me to come over. 

**

I get back to my hotel and throw myself backward onto the bed. my body aches from practice yesterday but I'm used to the feeling of exhaustion from all the working out I do. I'm not fresh out of college anymore, my body is getting older and it sure as hell feels like it. I make sure to take care of my body the best I can to play at the top of my game, but as I've gotten older that takes more thought and effort.

Meeting Taylor today was a good decision, and I can't wrap my head around the fact that we went from a friendship bracelet to actually meeting her. I never got to give it to her, I was told she doesn't take visitors after concerts, but I spoke about it on my podcast I have with my brother Jason, and she somehow found out about that. the whole thing went viral and then I got a text from her asking if I wanted to talk sometime. Ever since we have been non-stop texting and calling until we could find a time to meet In person.

She is busy with tour, so it's not going to be easy if we want to start something together. She travels all over the world for that, while I'm busy with football season. It doesn't sound like an easy start for a romantic relationship, but I'm willing to give it a go. She seems like the type of girl you bend over backward to make it work with.

My phone goes off, so I head over to my jacket to pull out my phone. Maybe it's Taylor who wants to talk again? I wouldn't turn that down.

But it's not Taylor, it's someone I have no interest in talking with ever again. Kayla Nicole, my ex-girlfriend. The girl who cheated on me but claims publicly that I was the one who cheated. There is no need for her to be calling me ever again, but she doesn't seem to take the hint. It's been months but every once in a while she will call or text me, but I never dignify it with a response. Why she won't take a hint that I have no interest in talking with her I don't know.

Just like all the other times, I press decline. But as I'm about to put my phone back down a text chimes in.

Kayla: you can't ignore me forever.

Watch me. I absolutely can ignore her. My good mood from talking with Taylor tonight sour at the thought of my ex-girlfriend. She sours over any situation. I want to move on with my life and be rid of Kayla for good, but she doesn't make that easy.