Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Zane

Tate is front and center with all her girls tonight. Chase and Eli stand with them. I laugh as I watch Eli attempt to make a move on my sister. Eva just widens her eyes at him, looking horrified. I love my sister, but she's slightly oblivious when it comes to the attention of guys. Luckily, she has her attack-dog, Imogen Donnelly to watch over her.

Imogen places a hand over Eli's shoulder and gives him a warning look.

I huff a laugh. These girls are so wildly entertaining.

But there's one girl I love most of all.

Tate's eyes are trained on me. Her concern for me is palpable and I want to smile at how adorable she's behaving.

Aleks steps in front of me, blocking my view and giving me a stern look.

"You going to get distracted again tonight, brother?" he asks in Russian.

I put my hand over my heart mockingly. "Your concern for my well-being is adorable."

Aleks grabs my collar and shakes me a bit.

I roll my eyes.

"Don't brush Anton Gallo off. He's a fucking rageful psycho and you're right in his line of fire." Aleks releases me with an annoying glare.

"You need to lighten up," I huff. "Try yoga. Or maybe a good fuck session."

My brother doesn't even entertain me with a deadpan look as he usually does. His eyes roam over the crowd gathering.

"Something is coming. I don't know what, but I don't fucking like it..." he mutters.

I know my brother isn't being paranoid, but he sounds slightly on the paranoid side. The threat is real. Rory Farrell's death was only the beginning. I put a hand over his shoulder, trying to refocus his attention on me.

You see, something no one really knows or understands about my older brother is that he feels things deeply. He's just ridiculously good at hiding it all from the world. He's calculated and emotionally intelligent in ways most people in our violent world are not. I know all he really wants is to keep us all safe. I also know that my brother would take a bullet for me, for my sister, for any of his family and friends.

This is part of what makes him a good leader.

But sometimes I think he worries too much to the point where he doesn't live life for himself. I can't remember the last time Aleks did something selfishly.

Owen is collecting the last of the bets, bringing our attention back to the matter at hand. I stretch my neck and take a few calming breaths. I can handle Anton Gallo. But the sinister look in his eyes admittedly makes me question a few things.

Aleks gives me a warning look before taking his place on the side of the ring with Leo and Josh. Josh is giving me his usual advice. All four of us are good brawlers – but Josh is probably the most skilled as far as technical fighting skills. I've seen Josh Callahan beat up more guys than anyone I know. Aleks and I are both unhinged, but we lack the raw skill Cal has.

My eyes scan the crowd again, landing on Tate Yenin.

My Tatiana.

She sticks her tongue out at me, but then winks with a small smile. I blow her a kiss.