Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Tate

The party is in full swing around me, but I can't focus on any of that. I only can focus on the feel of my feet hitting the ground as I swiftly make my way towards the pathway to the forest. My heart pounds wildly in my chest.

Are you going to let me in?

Waves of excitement rush through me.

For the first time, fear isn't taking over. No, this is something else altogether.

I round the back of the cottage. It's quiet out here. All the lights are off. It's unusual, considering I know what typically happens out here during full moon parties. I enter the code to get in.

The cottage is silent and cold.

I know he'll find me here.

But I can play games, too.

I move through the darkness, feeling like I know this place. I've only been here a few times, but it feels like more.

A brief twinge of regret passes through me as I think about the last time I was here. The things I did to him. I hate that he kept secrets from me, but I hate that I hurt him worse.

I hear the doorknob of the main entrance turn.

I can hardly hear it over the pounding of my heart.

The door slowly creaks open. One booted foot steps through, then the other.

"I know you're here, Tatiana. Come out and play."

His deep voice sends me into a tailspin.

More footsteps. He moves through the entryway. I swear the wind whistles through the cottage and whispers follow it.

I watch from the safety of darkness in the parlor as Zane steps further into the entryway, as if waiting for me.

I grin to myself.

He thinks he's hunting me, but really it's the opposite. He won't even see me coming.

"Come out, come out!" he calls playfully. I hear the grin in his voice, see the way his shoulders tense like he's listening closely for any movement.

The wind howls again. This time creaking the floorboards above us. Zane's ears perk up and he follows the sound like a trail. The wind, the ghosts, whatever it was – make him think there is someone upstairs. He takes the stairs two at the time.

I move as quickly and silently as a cat behind him.

His footsteps move swiftly down the upstairs hallway towards the master suite.

I creep behind him till he comes into view. He opens the master suite door, looking around. When he begins to turn, I duck quickly into a guest room.

I don't hear movement so I give him a moment before peeking my head out. He's still in the master suite, walking around. I dart down the hallway and press my body against the wall outside the door.

He's just about to turn to leave the room when I attack.

I wrap my legs around him and shove him back, catching him off guard.

He falls onto the king bed with an 'oof' and I straddle his lap, my hands pressing down on his shoulders, both our chests heaving.

Zane smiles slowly.