Evara

Give me your attention now! If you are reading this book and you are obsessed with the characters don't forget to vote and comment. It would mean so much to me. I wanna know your reactions on every chapter! Follow me on my Instagram @browngirlwattpad for updates and DM me your views on this story. It would make me really happy 🩷

He's dropping me home. I mean, sure, I could've made it home perfectly fine on my own. I'm totally capable of that. But no, he just had to insist on accompanying me. And with that death stare of his fixed on me, I knew there was no way I could talk him out of it. Oh well, I guess having some company isn't the worst thing in the world.

Anyway, I can't deny that I feel safe with him, even if his protective streak can be a bit overwhelming. Maybe that's just how he tries to be kind. And hey, even if I'm not entirely convinced, I've got my trusty pepper spray and some killer kicking skills just in case. Gotta stay prepared, right?

Just when we're about to leave, "Crap! I almost forgot", I remember the bouquet of Carnations sitting on the table.

Nick's expression is curious as he asks, "Is it from your boyfriend?"

Alec's expression is strange, and I can't figure out what it is. He's looking at me like I'm in some kind of interrogation.

"Umm, no... I don't have a boyfriend," I say with a casual shrug. "A girl can get flowers for herself if she wants to get flowers for herself."

I got them earlier this afternoon when I went to a cafe for lunch, and there was this small flower shop nearby that I couldn't resist. I quickly grab it, not wanting to leave it behind.

Nick's eyes light up with admiration. "Wow! Treating yourself to flowers is the best kind of self-love. Carnations are your favourite?"

I grin wide and nod enthusiastically, "Yes, I love them to death!"

With that, we're walking out of The Vein, the night air cool against my skin as we make our way to Alec's car.

The entire car ride home with Alec was a mix of chatter and silence. I tried to spark up a conversation about anything and everything, but he didn't talk much. At least he responded with a yes, no, or one full sentence. I'll take the win when I can get one. So, I rambled on about the weather, the latest movie I'd watched, the book I'd read, and even my recent attempt at pottery class.

"This is me," I say, gesturing towards the four-story brownstone apartment looming in front of us. "Do you wanna come in for dinner?" I offer, knowing full well he hasn't eaten yet. It's just polite to ask, right?

But he responds with a simple, "No. I have to go." No smile, no niceties. Just straight to the point. Typical. Well, okay then. A smile would've been nice, but I guess some people just aren't big on pleasantries.

I nod, masking my slight disappointment with a cheerful "Goodnight" and a "Thanks for the ride." As I start to climb the stairs to my apartment, I can't help but notice he's still lingering. I can feel his eyes on me, waiting for me to get inside before he takes off.

That's kinda sweet, in a grumpy sort of way. Nope. Not going there.

******

I step through the door, ready to close it behind me when suddenly, a firm hand halts its movement. Looking up, I'm met with Alec's towering figure, his eyes penetrating my soul. Without warning, he pushes the door open, his grip strong as he pulls me close, spinning me around effortlessly. I find myself pressed against the door, his lips inches from mine, his front pressed against mine sending a rush of heat through me.

His hand gripping mine from behind my back and his grip on my neck is firm but not uncomfortable. My free hand nails dig into his arm as I grapple with the intensity of the moment. His touch sends a wave of excitement to my core as his hand gently caresses my neck, fingers trailing along my pulse point. It's like every nerve in my body is on high alert, responding to his touch with an electric intensity.