Evara

Stepping out of the shower, water droplets from my damp hair drip onto the floor, creating teeny tiny puddles beneath my feet. I brush a stray lock away from my face, feeling the cool sensation of the water as it trickles down my neck. Standing in front of my closet, with my hands on my hips and I let out a sigh, surveying the array of clothes before me. "Let's do this," I mutter to myself, scanning through the options before me.

I scan through the hangers, my eyes lingering on various options, each one sparking a different idea in my mind. Choosing an outfit is harder than choosing literally anything in this entire universe. "What am I gonna wear?" I wonder aloud, the decision feeling more daunting by the second.

But then, like a lightbulb going off in my head, I remember the perfect outfit tucked away in the depths of my closet. Rummaging through the piles of clothes, I spot it-a gem buried in this fashion mess. With a triumphant grin, I pull out the white chikankari kurta I've been saving for a special occasion. "Well, hello there, beautiful," I whisper, admiring its delicate details and perfect fit.

I slip into the kurta, feeling the smooth fabric against my skin. The neckline is just right, framing my collarbones perfectly, while the strappy sleeves add a flirty touch that I can't help but love and the gorgeous thread work, Oh my god, those little details are just aesthetically pleasing. It's like wearing a piece of art.

I've had this gem tucked away for so long, waiting for the perfect moment to shine. And what better occasion than Holi?

I'm not worried about staining it with colors. I know how to fix it-just dye it some dark color later, and it's all good. Talk about creative genius!

Slipping into the kurta and throwing on some white leggings, I feel a surge of confidence wash over me. "Not bad, Evie, not bad at all," I say to my reflection in the mirror, giving myself a little nod of approval.

I grab my makeup bag and start doing my makeup. Just then, I hear my phone ringing on the bed. With a makeup brush in hand, I stroll over to answer it.

A wide smile spreads across my face as I pick up the phone. "Hey O!" I greet Omkara, my excitement bubbling over. His voice is like a warm hug, familiar and comforting.

"You sound awfully cheerful," he remarks, and I can't help but chuckle.

"Happy Holi!" I exclaim, the joy evident in my tone. "I'm heading to a party."

"That's awesome. Happy Holi," Omkara responds. "Where's it?"

"At Nick's parents' place," I answer as if it's no big deal.

"Isn't he Alec's brother?" Omkara asks in confusion.

Of course, I've vented about Alec to him in the past. Now, though, I can feel a flush creeping into my cheeks at the mention of Alec's name.

I nod even though he can't see me. "Yeah," I reply casually, trying to downplay the sudden rush of emotions.

"Has he stopped being an ass?" Omkara probes, and I can't help but laugh.

"Sometimes," I admit, eager to change the subject. "Did you speak to pappa?"

I can practically hear Omkara shaking his head when he responds, "You should really let it go. He'll come around eventually."

My heart stings at the reminder of how I left things with my dad. "He's still not happy with my decision," I confess, the weight of it all heavy on my shoulders. "Whenever I call him, all he says is to come back home. And when I refuse, he hangs up and doesn't pick up my calls for days."

Omkara lets out a breath, his words a comforting balm to my troubled soul. "You did what you had to do," he reassures me. "Don't worry, Evie."

"Hmm," I murmur in response, grateful for his support. "Where are you?" I ask, trying to lighten the mood.