6 - Personal

Kelly's P.O.V.
One month later

"Hey Lilly, want to go grab lunch with me?" John says once he enters my office.

"You know it," I stand up, grab my purse, and head out the door with John by side.

Me and John have gotten pretty close in the last weeks. We kept seeing each other in the hallways and we used to stop and talk. We've been having lunch together ever since Liam has been too busy to go out to lunch with me.

Guess he has better things to do, I mentally roll my eyes.

"How's Cole?" John asks me once we are seated in the cafeteria.

"He's okay, he's been mad at me for the last month, I grounded him, took his toys away and he can't seem to get over it. To be honest he's just like his father,"

John laughs and shakes his head.

"When can I meet him?''

"I don't know," I smile at him.

"I sure hope its soon, I bet he's a great kid, "

"He is," I agree.

"He's a little crazy and annoying, but who isn't?'' We both laugh.

"It must be nice to have a kid. At this point in our friendship I feel like I could tell you anything,"

''Of course,''

"I once got this girl pregnant, you know, an usual one night stand, I forced her to get an abortion. My biggest mistake. I was just a teenager at that time, I only thought of me, myself, and I," he takes a deep breath.

''I'm really sorry you had to go through that, I was 20 when I got pregnant with Cole and there were countless of times where I thought of abortion,'' It was true, I was in college, barely even holding it together by myself.

"But you had someone with you,''

"I think the only reason why I didn't get the abortion was because of him, and of course because I had a human being inside of me. He wanted the baby so much he forced me to keep him.''

"Well, the girl I got pregnant didn't have someone who forced her to keep the baby,'' he chuckles and shakes his head.

''At least you wouldn't have left her with a one year old baby because you couldn't keep up with her,''

That was why Cole's father left me. He couldn't keep up with me. I had a one year old baby with two years left of college and a ton of homework. I couldn't keep up with myself.

I had gotten home and into our bedroom and saw him packing. I begged him to not go - one of the days where I actually begged - I even followed him to the door while still begging him. Cole's cries from his bedroom made me stop, I realized at that moment that I shouldn't have begged when even my salary was bigger than his.

I stopped begging, wiped my tears with my sleeve and turned to go after I told my final words to Cole's father.

"I'll be counting the days until you give up and try to come back into our lives,''

The conversation with John and me dies down after that. I could tell he realized I said that from experience. After we finish eating John takes me to my office.

Knock knock

"Come in," I say, still focused on the computer.

"Hey Kelly," I look up to see Liam enter the room and watch him sit in a chair.

"Hey,'' I say going back to work.

You've been ignoring me I'll do the same.

"I came to your office today, to see if you wanted to have lunch together but you weren't here," he explains trying to get my attention by tapping my desk with a pen.

"Oh, yeah, I went to eat with John," I'm still not taking my eyes off my computer.

"You've been getting close to him, huh?"

"Yes, we got especially close today,'' I shrug.

"How close?'' he was tapping the pen faster now.

"Personal,''

"Right,'' he suddenly stands up making me look at him surprised. "I'll be going now,'' he goes out the door.

I stand up and follow him, he enters his office and sits down on his desk.

"Are you mad at me for some reason?"

"Me? Why would I be mad?" He scoffs.

"Liam," I start.

"What?''

"Not that kind of close,'' I mumble.

"Uh?''

"We didn't get personal as you think we did,''

"How do you know I was thinking that? Maybe I wasn't,"

"Because I know you," I gather his hands in mine and smile at him.

''Well, I'm glad,''

...............................

"Kelly," I turn around as I hear the sound of my name being called. I see Cole standing in the doorway, his hair blue.

"What happened to you?" I ask him, laughing.

Now, in another situation, I would have been worried and getting out of control. But this is Cole we're talking about, and he probably deserves the blue hair.

"I'll spell it for you. M I A," he tells me, stepping into the room and throwing his book bag on the couch.

"Miami?" I try to make a joke.

"She's psycho, Kelly,'' he tells me shaking his head.

"How did that happen?" I ask him pointing at his hair.

"A fight, usual stuff, you really want know?"

"Go take a shower, Cole." He stands up and starts walking.

"And Cole?" I call him.

"Yeah, Kelly?"

"Call me Kelly one more time, you won't be able to walk for a week!'' I smile at him.

Later, once we're finally eating spaghetti, I ask him what happened with him and Mia.

"We were in art class - we really need to stop having classes together- and I start making fun of what she's painting and she starts making fun of what I'm painting - it was a Star Wars ship, by the way, it was the coolest thing ever - anyways, I tell her that her painting had too much pink and she tells me that my painting has too much blue and she gets the jar and pours it down my head,'' he glares at space for a moment.

"Then, I get pink and pour it down her head,''

"Did you get in trouble?''

"We had to clean up the room. What's my punishment?'' he knows me so well.

"No TV for a week,'' And the yelling started.