Prologue

"Kelly, you're fired,"

"You're funny," I chuckle, this is probably one of the many pranks my co-workers have put on me. I have to admit, this one is a good one.

"I'm sorry, Kelly, this isn't a prank, we are cutting personnel, the money is not good right now, and you don't really have an important position we need to consider to keep," Luis - the accountant manager of King enterprises- tells me looking at me full of sorry and pity.

This is not a prank.

"When is my last day?" I ask him.

"Friday, you have 3 days."

I nod at him and stand up.

"I am really, truly sorry,"

"Me too," I give him a small smile and exit his door, making my way to my cubicle.

I stop at my friend, Jenny's cubicle.

Jenny is my 26 year-old neighbor - my work neighbor, her cubicle is next to mine - she is a petite blonde woman with a kind heart, she was one of my first friends.

"Hey, you have a box or something?" I ask her.

"Yeah, why?" She reaches under her desk and brings out a medium sized box.

"I'm fired. Thanks for the box," I get the box from her and head to my cubicle.

I sit down and start to look around my cubicle, thinking of what I can take home today, the rest for tomorrow and Friday. Its a small cubicle, there's barely any space. My desk, my seat, my computer, photos of my 7 year-old son, Cole, and me. And of course, my papers and stuff from my job.

They're worthless.

I pack Cole and I's pictures, some of my things I know I won't be using anymore, close the box and put it under my desk. I reach into my purse and take out my phone.

"Lilly," I say, once she picks up the phone.

"Hey, Kelly, what's up?"

"I was fired this morning," there was silence for some seconds and her next words releive me.

"Come to house, now."

"I still have to work, you know," I chuckle.

"Who cares? They freaking fired you, come to my house, now, or I will go to where you are and drag you out,"

"Okay," I hang up the phone. I pick my purse and the box up and start heading to the garage.

Not worth staying anways.

''Tell me, what happened?'' Lilly asked once we were seated in one of the couches.

''They said they were cutting personal, apparently, the company is in bad times and my job is not really something they need to consider keeping,'' I say, rolling my eyes.

They can consider my ass.

''But secretaries are important, I was one,''

''Not when your boss has two, obviously one would have to go, and it was me,'' I shrug and sigh at the same time.

''I'll talk to Max, maybe he has an empty spot on his company to give you, you need to get a job as soon as possible to support yourself and Cole,'' she smiles at me.

''Thank you so much Lilly,'' I smile back at her. I really don't want to ask Max a job in his company, I want to get a job myself but right now I can't think only about myself, I have a kid to support.

''Anyways, how's Adam and Mia?'' I ask Lilly, changing the topic.

''Oh, Adam is taking a nap and Mia might be here from school in half an hour, want me to call to school so Cole can come with her here?''Lilly asks me.