Chapter 2: Past romance

"I'm surprised you called", Julia started. We were having dinner at the restaurant. It was Alfred's idea. I let him convinced me.

"I was thinking after the dinner─" Julia continued.

"I'm not that kind of guy Julia", I blurted out.

"I know." She smiled at me. "Did you forget we dated for a year Bruce?"

I had too many heartbreaks. I tried but I'm not good at relationship. I have trust issues. And I couldn't tell her my secret, what I do. She broke up with me one day.

"I don't know what's harder to get in bed with you or talk with you", Julia joked but there's a bit of truth in every joke.

Then her face became serious. "You never told me your secrets. It's hard to compete when you don't know what are you competing against."

"There's no competion", I said, staring at my food.

"Always so secretive...", "Julia said sadly. I started to feel a bit uncomfortable.

"What did you want to talk about?" I looked up at her and tried to change the subject.

"I want to keep in touch with you. I care for you, Bruce. We are still friends. At least I want to think that way."

I didn't want to drag her into my world. She deserves more.

"We are. I'm sorry Julia... I have been... busy", my usual reply, she must be tired of it.

I glanced around the restaurant and I accidentally saw her, the girl I met on patrol, getting up from her table. Someone was with her. But I couldn't see who. People were passing by, blocking my view.

I did the most unusual thing. I got up from my chair and went after her. Julia called confused. "Bruce?"

I followed her outside. "Wait!"

But once I stepped outside the restaurant, I lost her. There was a black limo driving off into the distance. I couldn't read the license plates.

Maybe I imagined things...

Julia followed me outside, a bit concerned. "Where did you just ran off?"

"I thought I saw something", I replied, staring at the empty road.

"You mean someone?" Julia corrected.

Did she see her too?

"You know you can tell me... I moved on Bruce. That's what I wanted to talk with you. I'm... seeing with someone. It's getting serious."

I knew I wasn't imaging things.

"You are?" I asked, pretending to be surprised. It was just a matter of time when she'll move on.

"Yes", Julia confirmed. "I wanted you to be the first one to know."

I was genuinely glad for her. She deserves to be happy. I could never make her happy. "I'm happy for you, Julia."

I could never make anyone happy. She smiled at me. "I know."

"Are you going to tell me who she is?"

"I don't know", I replied honestly.

"You just ran after a girl you've never met before?" Julia questioned.

"Something like that", I replied.

Alfred came downstairs to the Batcave in the middle of the night in his pajamas. "Can't sleep again Master Bruce? And the lady in your room?"

Her eyes.

"No", I replied, sitting at the Batcomputer and staring at the screen, dressed up in my regular clothes. It's not Julia. It was someone who I picked up in a bar. I don't know why I was there; I don't even drink. Very rarely.

They are hunting my dreams.

"When I said it would be nice to see you with a lady. It wasn't what I had in mind." Nothing happened. Nothing ever does. Alfred knows it. He doesn't like strangers in the house and it's not something I usually do.

"I've saw her tonight." I let out a long sigh.

"The girl you've met on patrol? At the restaurant?" Alfred asked. She was all I was thinking about while I was out on patrol tonight. "Interesting sir."

What were the chances...

"Yes", I confirmed. "She was there. I don't know with whom. But someone was with her."

"Have you talk to her sir?"

"No. I couldn't catch her", I replied.

"What did you do Master Bruce? Chased the young lady?" Alfred asked in disbelief.

Silence.

"Perhaps you like her more than you are willing to admit─", Alfred started.

"I don't like her Alfred. I hardly know her", I strongly disagreed.

In fact...

"I don't know her at all", I added, quietly.

"But you would like to sir?" Alfred asked.

I didn't reply. I didn't have an answer on that question. For the first time in my life I didn't know. There's something about her... I just can't name it.

"I do know one thing Master Bruce. It takes more than a pretty face to catch your attention. The girl must be special. You should return her necklace."

"I can't. I don't know who she is."

"You have your ways of finding people... What are you afraid of Master Bruce?"

"I'm not afraid Alfred. She isn't a criminal Alfred. There's no reason for me─" We argued.

"Not even to return the necklace to its rightful owner?"

"It's just a necklace. She can afford a new one", I blurted out. "She is rich. The necklace. The dress. The restaurant. The limo."

"Money can't buy all. I thought I teach you that Master Bruce", Alfred's strongly disagreed.

You did.

I started to feel guilty. "It could be important. Did you try to open it sir?"

I looked down at the shining necklace on the table. What if Alfred is right? And the necklace does mean something to her?

"Perhaps it could tell her who she is", Alfred persisted.

I abruptly stood up and faced Alfred. "I have more important things to do then─"

"You're afraid Master Bruce", Alfred stated.

"Alfred", I warned.

"You're holding it in your hand... I might say very tightly sir."

I looked down at my hand. Alfred was right. "It's not that hard to admit to yourself that you actually like the young lady. No harm can possibly happen to it sir."

Her eyes and the way she looked into mine. There was something familiar about it. I can't get it out of my head.

"Goodnight, Master Bruce."

Once again, I was left alone with my thoughts. I stared down at the necklace in my hand. "Goodnight Alfred."