Chapter 8: Fortune-telling and superstitions

I was driving at full speed, Nightwing and I were heading home after patrol, when I slammed on the brakes and Batmobile abruptly stopped.

"Did you see it?" Nightwing questioned. It wasn't his imagination.

"I saw it too." The black pantheress crossed our path. She probably ran away from the circus, again.

"What now?" Nigtwing asked. It was too close. The Batmobile could hit her if I was the one driving. And I'm the only one driving the Batmobile.

"The Circus", I informed, starting the Batmobile. I need to bring her back to the circus. I can't let her roam around the streets. She'll cause panic.

"It's because of the girl", "Madam, a gypsy fortune teller, explained.

The girl?

I didn't understand about whom she was talking about.

"Can I speak to you? In private?" Madam asked. We have worked together in the past. She helped me with some case. I'm a man of logic. I don't believe in superstitions but I saw magic. And it has a name John Constantine. I don't really like that guy. He talks too much.

I followed her to her tent. Once we were inside, she started. "I had a vision of you. I saw you burning up in flames."

"I can handle danger." Being a vigilante is a dangerous job. I have to constantly watch my back.

"I have no doubt. But it's not that kind of danger but the one who will send your heart on fire." My eyes widened under the cowl in surprise. She wasn't talking about danger, she was talking about falling in love.

"There's a young woman on your path." I turned my back and walked into the direction of the exit.

"You can turn your back on me but you can't turn your back on destiny. And the girl is your destiny." I stopped for a second to think about Madam's words then I left her tent and headed back home.

"Can sleep again Master Bruce?" Alfred came downstairs to the Batcave later that night. Sometimes I have nightmares, mostly about my parents deaths. But lately my dreams are having a new meaning.

It was middle of the night. I was still dressed up in the Batman suit. I forgot to change my clothes after patrol. I tried to occupy myself with work but I couldn't get of Madam's words out of my head.

"Something troubling you, Master Bruce?" I don't need much of sleep, three to four hours a night/day. "Are you planning to go back to the circus?"

"You can't keep that wild animal", Burton disapproved in the garden. I went to the Crown Manor in the morning.

The girl.

"Mr. Wayne, make her come back to her senses", Burton greeted and walked past me.

Of course it had to be her.

"You have a panther in your backyard?!" I tried to sound as much as surprised as I could. That explains the terrified look on the servants' faces when I entered the manor. The pantheress walked freely in her backyard.

"The circus gifted Layla to me. She keeps running away, searching for me", she explained.

"Layla?" I asked a bit confused. What is she doing there? I know she likes animals.

"I named her that way. It means night in Arabic."

"It's... suitable", I could think of any other word at the moment.

"You planned to keep her here?" I asked.

"Yes", she replied. "But I need time to convince him." She sighed in defeat.