Chapter 18: A new vigilante(s) in town

I went to The Iceberg Lounge, Penguin's club, dressed up in my regular clothes, and found her sitting at the table, alone.

"Bruce?" She lifted her head up, meeting my gaze, surprised to see me. "I didn't expect to see you at a place like this."

"I could say the same", I said a bit disappointed.

"May I?" She nodded giving me her permission and I sat down at her table.

"It's temporarily. I... I needed a job. No one in Gotham wants to hire me", she explained.

Burton.

"You could ask me", I said a bit offended, and continued softly. "Ro, if you need money..."

"I don't want your money Bruce." It offended her.

"Besides, he would found out. I don't want you to get in trouble as if it's not enough that he bribed everyone in town", she said in disbelief.

"I can handle Burton. He only wants what's the best for you", I said in his defense but I didn't know he did that.

"He has a funny way of showing it", she disagreed.

"And he doesn't get to decide what's the best for me. I do." I couldn't argue with that.

"It's not that bad Bruce", she assured. "Working here. My boss is a really nice guy once you get to know him. He's a good friend." I didn't like their friendship but I believed her. I know Penguin. He's a gentleman and fond of her, especially after what she did for him at Ronnie's party. He considers Ro as a friend.

"I thought I was your friend", I said a bit sadly.

"You are." She reached for my hand but I moved it aside. "Bruce... what is wrong?"

I couldn't stand a thought she was with him, whoever he is, all this time. "Perhaps I don't want to be your friend anymore."

"What are you saying? I'm...", she started sadly. "... going to marry him."

My eyes widened and I exclaimed. "You can't!"

"You're too young! What about your college? And your inheritance... You'll lose... everything", I reasoned.

"I'm not too young Bruce. College can wait, not that I have money to pay for it now. And I don't care about it Bruce. The money. I never had. I just want to be happy. ", she said softly.

I can make you happy Ro. Can I?

"I want to be loved. I know my parents would want that for me." I stared down at the table surface thinking of her words.

"I know I'm asking too much but I could really use a friend right now. Burton isn't going to make it any easier for me when he finds out. Can I count on you, Bruce?" I lifted my head up, meeting her gaze.

"Yes", I said without thinking it first but it doesn't change how I feel about her. I want her to get whatever she wants even if that's not me. "You can count on me Ro."

I climbed the rooftop across their building and took off my binoculars, I followed Ro after work. They were living together in an industrial building transformed into an apartment.

I couldn't hear them but I was watching. There weren't many furniture. A few larger computer screens, a desk and a chair. And a mattress in the center of the room. Of course there was a kitchen. Only essential things. I wasn't focused on things but them.

They were arguing about something. She was wearing his t-shirt and the bed looked used. I tried to not think about it. He wrapped his arms around her waist. I immediately turned away, crushing the binoculars in my hands. I didn't want to watch it.