Chapter 13: Queen lost his crown

"I'm staying in Gotham. It's official. I'll finish my final year here." I kept her company as she took Black Beauty for a walk.

"You're different", Ro suddenly stopped and stated. She was wearing a gold penguin brooch, the Penguin's brooch. I don't think Burton invited Penguin to her birthday party not that he came in the first place. "I haven't thank you for your gift. He is beautiful Bruce."

"Your necklace. Is it new? I haven't seen you wearing it." For some reason I asked about it instead of the Penguin's brooch.

"No, it's not. I thought I lost it but a friend found it and returned it where it belongs."

"I ─ I'm sorry I haven't come", I apologized sincerely. I didn't know she became close to Penguin. I couldn't hide my worry but it seemed unlikely for Penguin wanting to hurt her after what she did for him and not without a good reason.

"I'm sure you have your reasons. I hope one day I'll earn your trust for you to share them with me." She is right. It takes one person to make you belong.

"You have my trust and so much more Ro...", I confessed softly.

"Bruce... You shouldn't be telling me that. I might believe you." Black Beauty nuzzled her nose against her back and gently pushed her closer to me. "I seriously don't know why she does that."

"I think I know." I was about to show her. I cupped her cheek. Her chest raising up and falling down quickly as I looked down at her.

She was staring at my lips when the maid came and interrupted. "I'm sorry Miss. He wants to talk to you. It's important."

She sighed and burried her head in my chest. "I can't believe. That was so close. Too close."

I hold her head pressed to my chest. I couldn't agree more with her and feel the same way. She lifted her head up, avoiding my gaze. "I better see what he wants now."

Ro's POV

"Are you planning to open them?" Babs asked me in the afternoon, taking a small gift box in her hands. She was thinking about my birthday gifts.

We were sitting in the living room. It's was full of gifts of different sizes. It's been a few days and I still haven't opened them.

"Go for it", I gave her my permission. I never cared about gifts, material things.

And Babs looked like as if she was having fun opening them. "This one is expensive."

She took out a diamond necklace. "Who sent you this?"

"I don't know", I replied honestly. "I'll send it back, donate it or something. You can keep it if you want."

The last thing I need is another necklace...

"I can't. Paps...", Babs voice trailed off. "Thank you for not telling paps. If he knew, he would freak out." I found the Batgirl costume in her closet. I also heard her talking with Dick. She asked him not to tell 'the big guy' I know.

"You know, I thought Bruce is..." Babs being Batgirl, Dick being Nightwing. Babs and Dick have dated and Dick is Bruce's ward. It would make perfect sense Bruce being Batman. Except he isn't. "... never mind."

"What is happening between the two of you?" Babs asked, taking a small break from opening gifts.

"Nothing. We're just... friends", I said thinking about it. The things he said to me and the way he behaved. That not something friends do.

"Friends? You don't find him attractive?" And we were about to kiss if we weren't interrupted. Twice. More than twice actually, now when I think about it...