Chapter 3: Every mask has a face

"I am glad you listened to my advice Master Bruce." Alfred held my suit jacket while I looked at myself in the full-length mirror in my room and fixed my tie.

"If I may ask, why sudden change?" Tonight is the masquerade ball being held at the Gotham's Museum of Art. Everyone from the upper class are invited.

"It's been a while since the last time I attended to an event." My
weekly galas don't count. Most of the time I don't even show up. I don't make it on time. People are so used to me being there, they don't even notice my absence.

"Is that the only reason Master Bruce?" For some reason Alfred didn't believe me. Perhaps because I wasn't entirely honest with myself.

I put on my suit jacket and head towards the exit of my room. I'm going alone, without a date. It's not the first time. I'm not seeing with anyone at the moment and I'm not that type to hire escorts.

"Ahem", Alfred cleared his throat and reminded. "You're not wearing a mask, sir."

"I don't need one." They won't throw me out of the party because I'm not wearing a costume. And I had donated large sums of money to the museum.

Alfred drove me to the museum and wished. "Have a nice evening Master Bruce."

"You too Alfred. You too", I mumbled and exited the limo.

It was very crowded inside. It was hard to recognize a familiar face between all those masks.

I noticed I was the only one who didn't wear a mask until I looked up and... saw her standing alone at the top of the stairwell, holding onto the railing, wearing a very unique bright dress.

I had to get to know her. I climbed up the stairs and aprouched her. I put my hands in my pants pockets, feeling a bit nervous, I didn't know anything about her, and started the conversation. "Enjoying the view?"

"Not really", she replied, looking down at the people. At first I didn't understand. "We all wear masks. Sometimes we wear it for too long, we forget who we are. It's kind of sad."

"I never thought about it before... ", my voice trailed off, staring at the crowd, deeply thinking about her words.

She turned to me and apologized. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bother you."

"No, I'm...", I immediately lifted my head up and confessed. "I'm not used people sharing their thoughts with me."

"The way you look, I understand why." She gave a small smile.

"Intimidating?" I don't know why I said it. I mean, I have muscle, I work a lot. And I'm a brooding, silent guy with a bad past even if I try to be charming. I'm tired of it. Truth is I am just sad. I had too many heartbreaks.

"Handsome", she corrected with a smile. My eyes widened.

She finds me attractive?

"You have that mysterious aura around you. I bet girl love it. They must be standing in the line and fighting over you."

"I don't see no line here", I blurted out.

"And why is that?" She asked curiously.

Silence.

"Have we met before? You look familiar", she broke the silence first.

"No, I don't think so... I mean, I would remember", I replied then looked down at her dress.

"Is there something wrong with my clothes?" She asked noticing.

"No. It's just...", my voice trailed off. I have a few questions. I wasn't sure which one to ask first.