Chapter 22: Not his lover, not his sidekick

I came to the hospital as soon as I heard. Ro was pacing back and forth in the hospital hallway, worried about Burton's condition.

"Ro... How is he?" I asked in a concerned tone. Someone shot Burton today on the street. I didn't have all the informations.

She turned and replied. "I don't know. He's still on surgery."

"How are you feeling?" She looked beyond worried.

"I'm trying not to freak out. But I'm close to the edge." She looked down.

I put both of my hands on each side of her arms and said in a soft voice. "Ro if you need anything... I want you to know I'm here for you."

She lifted her head up and met my gaze gratefully. "Bruce... Thank you."

"Floyd!" She suddenly exclaimed. A man walked in our direction and she ran into his embrace.

He looked at me hugging her. There was something in his look I didn't like. There was something dangerous.

Deadly.

"SHE'S DATING DEADSHOT?!" Nightwing and Batgirl exclaimed simultaneously. A mercenary, one the most lethal assassins in the world. I had all the evidence I needed. He's the one who shot Burton.

"Master Bruce..." Alfred started worryingly.

I stood up from the chair and turned. "Don't worry Alfred. I'm not going to let anything happen to her."

"If I may ask from where did you get that information?" Alfred asked, following me around the Batcave.

I stopped looking straight ahead. There was a lot of hacking involved and I had to pull some strings to get to it. "You don't want to know."

Amanda Waller.

She works for the government and she's the director of A.R.G.U.S, a government support organization. She gave me all the informations I need about Floyd. I don't like her. She seems ruthless.

"And it doesn't matter how I get it. It matters what I'm going to do with it", I said, walking up to the Batmobile.

"And what are you going to do with it, sir?" Alfred shouted.

"Do give him a preposition he can't refuse", I said, hopping inside the Batmobile.

I found his secret. The real reason he's in Gotham...

I found him on the rooftop and I watched him aiming the sniper rifle at her as the beads of sweat formed on his forehead. Ro was outside the restaurant, bringing food into the van. Burton is in the hospital, recovering.

"You can't do it. Can't you?" I asked Deadshot, coming out of shadow. I thought Burton was the target but I was wrong.

He is in love with her.

Deadshot put the sniper down. They were together in the limo and he never misses. And he missed. Twice. "Leave Gotham and never return and I─"

"You don't fear me, Batman." Deadshot glared at me.

I know.

"I'm not finished", I continued. "I will not tell her or your daughter who you are and what you have done."

Yes, I know about your daughter.

Deadshot lowered his head and stared at the floor, thinking. I don't want Amanda to have him. I don't know what she would do with man of his skills. I don't trust her.