Chapter 14: Kitty issues

I watched Ro every night as she sneaked out of the manor. She helped at Leslie clinic, at the orphanage, at the local shelter and studied in between. I admired from afar.

I stepped up into the light and helped her lifting up a trash bag off the ground. It looked heavy. She almost dropped it when I grabbed it.

"It goes...", I walked up to the nearby container and throw the bag in there. It was too heavy. There's no way she could possibly carried it around. "... there. Thanks Batman."

I turned and faced her in the street. It was just the two of us. We were alone, we could talk freely. I expressed my concern. "You shouldn't be doing this."

"Throwing the trash or sneaking out of the manor?"

"Both." I stared at the floor, thinking. I'm surprised how she didn't get into any trouble for doing it by now.

"Thank you for putting me into your schedule. I know Leslie asked you but I'm sure you have more important things to do then─"

"Not tonight", I cut her off softly, lifting up my gaze to meet her eyes.

She sighed and explained. "I want to help. And I had to get away from everything. Sometimes it's just too much. Heavy. It's not as if I'm going to do it for much longer. Being who I am and staying in his presence. I'll─"

"Your boyfriend?" I cut her off.

"... I'll have to find another way", she finished.

"There are so much we don't know about each other. I'm not sure if he would understand...", her voice trailed off, looking at the ground.

"You could... show him?" I suggested. She thought I wouldn't like, understand what she does for the people of Gotham. Truth is I couldn't be more proud of her and who she is.

She lifted her head up and smiled. "Perhaps you are right but for now... I'm still waiting for him to ask."

"I wanted to ask you something", I started feeling a bit nervous. We were having a dinner at the restaurant.

Ro put her hands together under her chin. "Yes, Bruce?"

My palms were sweating. I was feeling nervous. I haven't feel this way since forever. "I was thinking if I, I mean you..."

"Yes, I?" She smiled at my clumsiness. "I mean you. You wanted to ask me something?"

"I wanted to ask you if you would like to be my girl... ", my voice trailed off seeing Selina in the distance as she clung to someone else's arm. "... friend."

"I'm a girl and I'm already your friend Bruce", Ro joked as I looked at Selina. I was surprised. I didn't expect to see her.

"Bruce. Haven't seen you for a while", Selina came to my table. I didn't recognize the guy not it mattered. She's free to do whatever she wants with her life.

"You can go now", Selina shooed him away. Ro moved in her chair, feeling a bit uncomfortable by Selina's act.

"And... who you might be?" Selina turned to Ro who looked at Selina blankly not showing any emotions, no signs of worry not there was any.

"She's...", I started to entroduce.

"Ro. I'm just Ro." She moved her hands back, down to her body. I started to feel tense.

"Still adopting kids Bruce?" Ro is younger than me but not that much younger.

"I'm not a kid", Ro said a bit offended by her words.