Chapter 7: The fall from grace

"Master Bruce", Alfred cleared his throat to gain my attention. "You have a certain gala to attend tonight", Alfred reminded.

It's not Friday yet. Or is it?

"Is that tonight?" I asked as I heard tire tracks. Nightwing arrived on his motorcycle.

"I left a tuxedo on your bed, sir. It would be advisable to change before your guests start arriving", Alfred suggested reminding me it's my gala and I'm the host. I have to show up even if I don't like this type of events.

I knew what worried him. "I just need some evidence then I'll stop." Emma was there for me when I lost my parents. Crowns were close to my family. We have history. This isn't easy for me.

"That's what afraids me Master Bruce", Alfred expressed his concern. I know I sometimes get carried with work, finding out the truth. People get hurt.

"I won't see her again", I continued.

"I don't think that would be possible sir." We'll still see each other at social events.

"I made a decision Alfred. You know what I mean." I need to stay close enough to find out the truth. How much they are involved with the Court.

"I do sir but I also know you, Master Bruce, better then you know yourself. You won't be able to stay away from the young lady once you admit your true feelings to yourself."

My true feelings...

"She isn't part of this world. You know how it ended it in the past", I reminded.

"You were different back then. And Miss Crown isn't Ms. St Cloud." I lost Silver. I'm responsible for her death. I'll never forgive myself. "It wasn't your fault Master Bruce. It was an accident."

*Flashback

At the beginning I spent my nights and days focusing on work, taking care of Wayne Enterprises, my family company, doing daily tasks, meetings and the promise I made to my parents, dressing up every night as a vigilante, fighting criminals.

It helped me make it through.

I tried to keep myself busy all the time and I became more guarded with new people, women I let into my life. And there weren't many... Just a few... One.

I met her at one of my galas.

I threw them once a week to keep up my cover. The most important people of Gotham are invited. The elite.

Truth is: I hate this events. People talking, laughing and drinking my wine. Pretending they are something they are not but I know all of their secrets. They don't care what's happening outside this walls, town they live in. Only thing they care about is their wallets. I would rather be anywhere else but here.

A silver-haired woman accidentally bumped into me, the wine landing on my white shirt.

"I'm so sorry", she deeply apologized. "I can be clumsy sometimes." She looked a few years younger than me. The last thing I wanted was to get my my heart broken again but I couldn't resist. There was something about her different.

"I'm sorry about your shirt", she apologized again.

Blue eyes.