Chapter 11: The Heart of the Penquin

"Why a French restaurant?" Ro asked as we sat down at the table and ordered the food. I ordered French onion soup, my favorite.

"I thought you might like it. It's European", I said looking at her. It was this or Italian. I took her out at the nicest French restaurant in town Chez Vous.

"Yes I... like it. Thank you." She took a sip of her water, she doesn't drink. I also noticed something was troubling her. She looked deadly serious.

"I stopped by yesterday but you weren't there", I started. Instead I talked with Burton mostly about business.

"Yes, I was out. With Oliver. Queen. I believe you know him. Is there something you want to tell me Bruce?"

"No. Is there something you want to tell me?" Her brows slightly rose up at my words.

"You mean Oliver?" I didn't say anything, I waited. She sighed. "We dated for a while. It didn't work out but we remained frends. Is that a crime?"

I shook my head no. "Anyway, it's all in the past."

That's exactly what Burton had said to me. "I'm sorry. I'm not good company. I had two long nights and a lot to think about."

"What happened?" I asked her.

"Wouldn't you know?" My eyes widened at her words. I wasn't sure of what she was accusing me of. But she couldn't possibly know. It didn't make much sense.

She looked aside, avoiding my gaze. I was about to ask her what she meant by it when I saw Ronnie entering the restaurant with...

What she is doing with Penguin?

Oswald Cobblepot, also known as the Penguin, an enemy of Batman, an eccentric criminal mastermind, who owns a nightclub, the Iceberg Lounge.

Ronnie clung to his arm, I frowned. It doesn't sound like Ronnie to socialize with a man like him. She spotted me. Together they came over to our table to greet us.

"Ronnie", I greeted looking at Penguin who has his eyes fixed on Ro.

"Ozzie, I want to introduce you to my friend Bruce Wayne and his girl friend Roselyn Crown", Ronnie introduced.

Ozzie, huh?

"Ah, Miss Crown, it's pleasure to meet you, dear. My name is Oswald Cobblepot. At your service", Oswald took her hand and gave it a kiss.

"Nice to meet you, Oswald", Ro smiled politely.

"Can I talk to you in private?" I said to Ronnie getting up from the table. I didn't like leaving Ro alone with Penguin but I needed to talk with Ronnie, alone.

"Excuse me, Ozzie", Ronnie said charmingly.

"What are you doing with Penguin?" I asked her as soon we were alone.

"I asked him out on a date", she replied. Oswald is physically deformed. There are some women who will find him attractive but Veronica isn't one of them.

"Why?" I asked, keeping my eye on Penguin. He was talking to Ro and she seemed to genuinely enjoy his company. Something I didn't quite understand.