Chapter 4: The five founding families of Gotham: The Crowns

Nightwing and I were on patrol. We fell into an ambush. Nightwing got injured. I drove us back to the Batcave.

"Master Richard!" Alfred exclaimed in worry.

"I'm fine Alfred. It's nothing", Nightwing assured I helped him get to the surgical table.

"Allow me Master Bruce", Alfred offered to take care of Dick's injury as he always does, I'm not good at stitching. I moved aside making space for Alfred to tend Dick's wound.

I went over to the Batcomputer and sat down in my chair.

"How did this happen sir?" Alfred asked as he helped Dick to take off his armor.

"The Court", I muttered, typing at the Batcomputer. I needed to check on something.

The Court of Owls, an organized crime group and a secret society of the richest families in Gotham. I suspect the Court is kidnapping the homeless children to train and turn them into their assassins, the Talons. I stand on their way. They were trying to kill me before... I never found out who is the one standing behind them, who is their leader. I had my suspicions but no proof...

Alfred cleaned Dick's wound, wrapped the bandage around his chest, and helped him put on his shirt then he walked up to me and glanced at the screen.

"The Crowns sir?" Alfred questioned. The Crowns are one of the five founding families of Gotham. The Crowns and Elliots are the only one left. And Thomas Elliot is my best friend.

"The ambush happened in one of the facilities owned by Crowns", I explained. I suspect Burton Crown is the leader of the Court of Owls. I still don't have any tangible proof.

"I need to get close to him", I informed. Emma Crown, the heiress of the Crowns, and her husband William Gordon, the former commissioner of the GCPD, had a car accident. They both died. Burton Crown, Emma's younger brother, took charge of their family company, Crown Enterprises.

"You don't thinkー" Alfred started. Emma and William had a daughter. She should be now in her early 20s. Somewhere in Europe, studying. I never met her. By the time I returned to Gotham, she was sent abroad. And not to mention there is 12 years difference between us.

"Master Bruce", Alfred strongly disagreed. "The Crowns are one of the most respected families in Gotham", Alfred reminded. The Crowns were close to my parents when I was a child. That's what makes all this harder.

"And one of the most powerful", I added. The Crown Enterprises, owned by Crowns, with Burton Crown on the head of the company. It's my biggest rival.

Dick got off the table and walked up to us. "You two know I'm right here?"

"My apology Master Richard", Alfred acknowledged. "Master Bruce suspect Burton Crown is the leader of the Court of Owls", Alfred explained.

"Are we talking about the Crowns as the same Crowns who owns Crown Enterprises?" Dick asked.

"The very same", Alfred replied.

"Holy shit!" Dick exclaimed.

"Language Master Richard", Alfred reminded.

"Sorry Al", Dick apologized. "How are we going to get close to them? Their place it's like a fortress! We can't just break in."

It would take me forever to bypass their security system.

"I", I corrected. "And I don't need to. I'm invited", I informed.