Chapter 5: Sun (doesn't) shine in Gotham

"Rise and shine Master Bruce", Alfred pulled the curtains and let the sunlight in.

I slowly opened my eyes, blinded by the light in my room.

"Alfred", I groaned.

He walked over to my closet and picked up a suit. "Mr. Crown is expecting you, sir." Alfred reminded, holding up the suit.

Then I remembered... The breakfast.

I immediately threw the covers and stood up. I grabbed the suit from Alfred's hands and put it on.

Alfred drove me to the Crown Manor. Burton invited me over.

"Mr. Wayne, you came early", Burton greeted me. He was reading today's newspapers and having breakfast in the garden, alone. The sun was shining which is extremely rare for cloudy Gotham even if it was summer.

I sat down at the table and the maid offered me a cup of coffee. I nodded in acceptance.

Burton flipped the next page as I took a sip of my coffee. Strong. Just the way I like it. It must be from their coffee plantations. They own a coffee plantation, organic farms, etc. Crowns Foods produces ecological foods, natural lines with no additives, and controlled growth. Crown Enterprises has many branches. I didn't try any of their food products until now.

"If you expect Roselyn to join us...", Burton noticed I was glancing around the garden. "She's still sleeping Mr. Wayne. She doesn't wake up before noon."

"Different time zone", Burton explained.

Jet Lag. I should have guessed...

"About my niece...", Burton's voice trailed off. There were so many things about her I didn't know. I was hoping for Burton's help.

She unexpectedly came and sat down at the table. "Good morning."

"Good morning", I said back to her. She didn't notice my presence. She looked tired.

"Speaking of the devil", Burton mumbled.

"Now I'm the devil", she disagreed. I thought it was just an expression. I was clearly missing something.

The maid put down the cup of cappuccino in front of her.

"Thank you", she said to the maid and put some sugar in her coffee.

"You could behave in good manners towards your suitors."

She crossed her arms over her chest. "I would if they weren't bunch of idiots."

"I apologize Mr. Wayne", Burton apologized as I tried not to laugh at her comment.

Hearing my last name, she immediately turned in my direction, acknowledging my presence.

"Mr. Wayne offered to keep you company", Burton informed.

"I did?" Burton looked at me and asked me to play along. "I... I did." She looked at me briefly, unconvinced.

"What are you doing?" She asked Burton with serious expression on her face.

"If you'll excuse me. I have a business meeting to attend to. Mr. Wayne will show you around the townー"

"I'm sure Mr. Wayne is a very busy manー", she protested.

Bruce. Call me Bruce...

"And this time take your bodyguards with you. You're not in Europe anymore", Burton ordered and excused himself from the table.

His words made her angry. She moved her chair out from the table. "You're free to go."

I grabbed her arm, stopping her from walking away.