Chapter 21: It tastes like coffee kisses

"He never brought us coffee", Batgirl complained, crossing her arms to her chest, as I walked up to Rogue.

"She lost her partner recently", Nightwing explained, concerned, watching me. "And she had a rough night. They both had."

They left and I handed her the coffee. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine. I'm sorry for everything", Rogue mumbled an apology, sitting on the edge of the building with her knees to her chest. "I panicked for no reason."

"What are you afraid of so much?" I asked concerned.

"Me", she replied looking at the hot coffee in her hands. I didn't understand her words.

"I'm afraid of becoming like one of them", Rogue replied and explained. "Insane."

Like one of the criminals...

"I have the same fear", I confessed standing next to her.

She looked up at me. "How do you deal with it?"

"You embrace it", I said softly. "The fear."

She took a sip of the coffee. "My favorite. How did you know?" I brought her a cappuccino with steamed milk and foam. Sweetened and strong at the same time.

"I didn't. You remind me of someone I know", I replied.

"A girlfriend?"

"No."

"A wife then?"

"I don't have a wife."

I watched her as she took another sip of the coffee and continued. "You would be a good husband."

"You care about this town, people in it, more than anyone else. You even brought me coffee and you don't know me. I can imagine what you would do for─"

"I have my reasons", I cut her off.

"Does it ever stop?" I looked at her without blinking.

"The pain. The reason you are doing this?" She added.

"No. But if you are lucky enough you met someone who takes it away. The pain", I replied.

"You're lucky then", she stated. "It's my fault. I'm the reason he─"

"Did you pull the trigger?" I cut her off. I wouldn't be surprised if Black died in a gunfight, if he is dead in the first place.

"No."

"Then it's not your fault. Everyone is responsible for their own actions."

"Is he... ?" I finally asked.

"No, he isn't dead. He left me a gift...", her voice trailed off.

"What is she like? A girl I remind you of?" She changed the subject.

"A soft and strong at the same time. She always do what is right."