𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐠𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐆𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐟 | 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖

"𝐈'𝐦 𝐬𝐨 𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐲, 𝐀𝐧𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐧

"𝐈'𝐦 𝐬𝐨 𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐲, 𝐀𝐧𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐧. 𝐈 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐥𝐲 𝐚𝐦 𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐲."

18 | THE STAGES OF GRIEF

THE NEXT MORNING, HERA COULDN'T FIND ANAKIN ANYWHERE until she found him on the veranda with his back ot her. She wore a white wrapped nightgown with a dark purple robe over top. She had on lilac sandals, and her hair was in it's natural curly waves. She steps onto the veranda, and she realizes he is meditating so turns to go.

"Don't go," Anakin said, his eyes still closed as Hera turned to him with a blank face.

"I don't want to disturb you," Hera told him softly, her voice a bit hoarse from having just woken up.

"Your presence is soothing," Anakin said, breathing in deeply before letting it out, and there is a brief pause as Hera began putting the puzzle pieces together in her head.

"You had a nightmare again last night," Hera said, and she could feel Anakin's panic rise.

"Jedi don't have nightmares," Anakin said with his eyes still closed tightly and hands behind his back.

"That's wrong," Hera chuckled, turning towards her. "I have them all the time... and I heard you." This caused Anakin to open his eyes, slightly wide in shock.

"I saw my mother," Anakin revealed, as he turned to look at her in the eyes for the first time since their fight the nigth before. "I saw her as clearly as I see you now. She is suffering, Hera. They're killing her! She is in pain..." Anakin sighed, and he looked at her with apologetic eyes. "I know I'm disobeying my mandate to protect you, your Highness. I know I will be punished and possibly thrown out of the Jedi Order, but I have to go. I have to help her!" Anakin ran his hands over his face. "I have to help her! I'm sorry, Hera. I don't have a choice."

"I'll go with you," Hera told him as he stepped towards her, slightly shaking his head."That way you can continue to protect me, and you won't be disobeying your mandate."