-4-

3 weeks later

"No, I am sorry, I also don't get what you have to do here sorry Bil," Noah voice echoed from the living room.  

"Kat, you're smart, come here for a second please." Noah begged as Kat entered the front door. 

Kat obliged and entered the living room, finding her brother and Billie seated at the table. "What are you guys doing here?" Kat asked, curious about the sudden study session.

"Well, your dear brother was trying to help me study for the math exam next week, but he's not any sort of help," Billie explained with a grin.

"I'm sorry, okay? It's been like 3 years since we did that stuff," Noah admitted, looking sheepish.

"Let me see," Kat said, checking out the paper and smiling because she had actually finished this exercise in class. If there was one thing she was really good at, it was math.

"You get it?" Noah looked at Kat hopefully.

"Yeah, it's actually very easy," Kat explained confidently.

"Damn, are you calling me dumb?" Billie laughed, pretending to be offended.

"No, not you, just my brother. He should be knowing this stuff," Kat replied with a smirk.

"Okay, so the problem is: Two trains are traveling towards each other on the same track. Train A is moving at 60 miles per hour, and Train B is moving at 45 miles per hour. They are initially 300 miles apart. How long will it take for them to collide?"

Billie stared at the paper, her brow furrowed in confusion. "Don't worry, it's simpler than it seems once you break it down step by step."

Kat began explaining the concept of relative speed and how to approach the problem. As she guided Billie through the solution, she could see the realization dawning on her face. Billie started to catch on.

"See? It's not that bad once you break it down," Kat said, pleased with her progress.

Billie looked relieved and grateful. "Oh damn, it really is not that hard. You explain very well," Billie complimented her.

"Thanks, well anyways, I'm gonna go upstairs and study for my own exams," Kat said, preparing to leave.

"Wait," Billie called after her, her voice tinged with hesitation.

"Huh?" Kat turned back around.

"Can you be my math tutor?" Billie asked in the sweetest voice.

Kat thought about it for a second, but since she didn't really want to be around Billie, she quickly came up with an excuse. "No, sorry, I actually have a lot to do, and I gotta study a lot for my other exams."

"Come on, Kitkat," her brother begged now. "You're such a good teacher, and if she doesn't pass, her coach won't let her keep participating in the dance competition."

"Please, Kitkat, I swear I'll be your best student," Billie added, giving Kat the biggest puppy eyes.

Kat tried to resist, but she couldn't say no to her like that. "I'll think about it," she said instead as she went back upstairs and called her best friend, Normani.

"Ugh, I don't know, Mani, Noah is really trying to push me to give her math tutoring sessions," Kat complained.

"So you don't wanna do it?" Normani asked.

"I mean if it was anyone else, I wouldn't care, but I was just trying to avoid her the best I could the past few weeks."

"But Kat, is it really that bad? I mean, Billie seems nice, and you're very good at math. It could be a good thing. Who knows, maybe you'll even become friends?"

"I mean, it's not like I don't like her. I'm not sure myself why I am avoiding her like that. It's just all a bit awkward," Kat groaned as she was interrupted by a knock on the door.

"I gotta go, Mani. I'll talk to you later, okay?" Kat said before hanging up.

"Alright, girl. Just remember, I'm here for you, no matter what," Normani replied before Kat placed her phone down and called out, "Come in."

The door swung open, revealing Noah with a look of concern mixed with frustration on his face. "Kat, we need to talk," he said, closing the door behind him and leaning against it.

"What's up?" Kat asked nervously, trying to sound casual.

"It's about Billie," Noah started, his brows furrowing. "Did something ever happen between the both of you?"

Kat's heartbeat increased. "What do you mean 'happened'?" she asked nervously wondering if he knew.

"I don't know, like has she ever done anything to you? You seem like you absolutely can't stand her."

"Why would you think that?"

"I mean, you've been really distant with her. You barely talk to her, and when you do, it's like you can't wait to get away. What's going on?"

"I don't know what you mean," Kat replied, avoiding his gaze.

"Don't play dumb, Kat. It's not like you," Noah pressed. "You're always the one who gets along with everyone. But with Billie, you're cold. It's like you hate her or something?"

"I don't hate Billie," Kat finally said, her voice soft but firm. "It's just... things are complicated."

"Complicated how?" Noah asked, stepping closer. His voice softened, seeing the distress in his sister's face. "Kat, if there's something wrong, you can tell me. Is it something she did?"

Kat hesitated, torn between wanting to open up and being scared to do so. "It's not anything Billie did," she clarified, choosing her words carefully. "It's just me... I'm dealing with some stuff. It's making it hard for me to be around her, that's all."

Noah looked unconvinced but decided not to push further. "Look, Kat, I really like her so it would be great if you gave her a chance. She thinks as well that you can't stand her."

"Okay," Kat agreed, nodding slowly. "I'll help her with math, but we'll not be friends. I'll do it for you only."

Noah smiled, a look of relief washing over his face. "Thank you, Kat. I knew I could count on you."

Kat nodded and flashed him a weak smile.