-5-

The next day Kat found herself seated at the library in front of Billie, against her better judgement. Billie looked determined to tackle the math problems ahead, but Kat was still uneasy with her. She stayed cold and professional, trying to get it done as soon as possible.

Kat flipped over to an exercise in the book as she told Billie to do it.

Billie looked a bit lost. "I don't really understand, can't we start with the basics?"

"No, if you can't even try to think for yourself, I can't help you," Kat snapped at her.

Billie sighed silently and attempted the problem as her focus shifted back to the book. Kat continued to watch Billie struggle with the exercise as she was just scrolling through Instagram.

Kat could sense her frustration growing with each passing moment. "Still struggling? It's really not that difficult if you actually put in some effort," Kat commented.

"Kat, please, I am really trying. Can we start with the basics?" Billie pleaded.

"You should already know the basics. I can't teach you everything from first grade on," Kat said, her words sharp and unforgiving.

Billie sighed. "Look Kat, I get that you do not like me or want to help me, but this is really important to me, okay? Dance is the most important thing in my life right now, and if you're not serious about wanting to help me and just want to keep being a dick, then you might as well leave now," Billie said firmly.

"Fine, give up then. I'm not here to hold your hand through everything."

Billie looked at Kat disappointedly as her jaw clenched. She took a deep breath, as if she was trying to gather her composure. "You know what, forget it. I'll figure it out myself. I really don't need anyone telling me I'm dumb just because I have other strengths than math."

As she started to gather her things, a twinge of guilt started to hit Kat. Maybe she was being too harsh? Kat let out a sigh. "Why is dance so important to you?" she asked in a much softer voice now.

Billie turned around surprised and took a second to think. "I don't know, I guess for me, dance is just a way of expressing myself. Like when I'm going through something, dance is really my way of just getting everything out at once and not having to think about it. Like I can just go and move, and everything would be great," she explained honestly.

"Okay, then let's make sure you can dance," Kat smiled at her as she still looked at her skeptically.

"Are you gonna keep being a dick?" Billie frowned.

"No, I am sorry, Bil, this is just all a bit weird to me.

"Yeah, I get it, but it really doesn't have to be, you know?"

Kat sighed and stuck out her hand. "Friends?"

Billie smiled and confirmed as she shook Kat's hand. "Friends."

"Okay, let's start with the basics. What do you struggle with the most?" Kat asked.

"Uh, pretty much everything beyond basic addition and subtraction," Billie admitted sheepishly.

"Okay," Kat laughed. "Just out of curiosity, you said your strengths lay beyond math, what are you into then?"

"Hmm, I am really into music, art, dancing, more like the other side of my brain, so anything artistic or creative," Billie explained.

"Oh, that's cool. I wish I was more creative, to be honest."

"Everyone can be, you just have to become in touch with your inner self," Billie said, piercing through Kat's eyes as if she was trying to get through her soul. Kat got lost in her eyes for a second before nervously changing the topic again. "Maybe, but not now. Now we're gonna tackle your logical thinking," Kat said.