14. MY PARVATI

Vidya's Pov
I sat on the couch, engrossed in reviewing a PowerPoint presentation. Despite taking a leave for the day, I had an important online meeting scheduled with a foreign businessman interested in partnering with us to open a hotel in his homeland.
"Our hotels faced a major downfall after what happened, but this partnership could recover that loss. I need to seal this deal at any cost," I thought to myself as I delved into editing the Excel sheet.
.
.
"Wear this!!", she exclaimed, placing a pretty white suit in front of me.

"Why?", I questioned my focus still on the spreadsheet.

"Do you have fixation amnesia, Vidi?", She asked to which I frowned. "Jiju's family is coming this evening to fix the marriage dates and arrangements... Don't you remember?"

Oh, right! That guy is coming. I don't want to face him again. The past fifteen days without seeing him have been bliss, but now I have to confront him once more, with his judgmental eyes always reminding me that I'm a liar. I've been avoiding him, even declining his weekly meeting requests. It's absurd that I'm going to marry him, yet I can't stand to be near him. I slammed the laptop shut in frustration, causing Akshita to frown.

"Okay... Wait!! Why are you calling him Jiju?", I asked raising an eyebrow.

"Should I call him... Jija ji then?", She teased, leaning towards me.

"Tum usko jija boli toh ji nhi paogi!! Niklo ab", I warned pushing her back playfully.
(If you call him 'Jija ji,' you'll be in trouble! Get out now)

"Uhhh! Hume mat maro yaar... Jija ji ko marna apni adao se", she replied while chuckling.

"Shut up you bitch...", I said tossing a pillow her way.

She left the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts and the looming prospect of facing him once again.
"I like having you around, Swan." His words echoed in my head. SWAN! I never liked being called by that name, yet when he said it, I felt no irritation. I just wanted to hear it again, but those flashbacks... I couldn't handle them in public. He had seen my vulnerable side, yet he never treated me with pity. He always met me with the same stoic expression, leaving me confused. Sometimes, it felt like he cared, but then he would act as if my existence didn't matter at all.
A part of me wants to call off this wedding, but I can't back out now. I feel like I have no other options, or maybe I don't even want to consider any other options. I know my mother didn't mean those words she said, or what my grandmother interpreted as a curse. I began to hate my mother after her death for what she said, but the day I found her letter, everything became clear. Everyone tried to portray her as a villain in my life, but she was my guiding light. Even my grandmother defended what my father did to her, dismissing it as a mistake because he was a man. "CHEATING IS NOT A MISTAKE, IT'S A CHOICE," I told her that day, and within a week, my grandmother passed away. I don't know if it was a curse or not, but now I fear that this marriage might turn into one. I'm afraid of both this marriage and mumma's word.

*********

Mrityunjay's Pov
"What nonsense is this?", I yelled at the staff, slamming the presentation file on the desk.

"Sir....S...", he stammered, fear evident in his voice.

"What 'sir'? GET OUT OF MY CABIN AND PREPARE THE WHOLE PRESENTATION AGAIN," I commanded, massaging my temples in frustration. He hurriedly left, and I followed suit, ignoring the odd glances thrown my way.
They were all still puzzled after the announcement of my marriage. It had been fifteen days since the announcement, yet everyone still gave me strange looks. They knew how much I had loved Manvi, and after she left, I couldn't stand the presence of any woman near me. Maybe they thought I'd remain single forever, and honestly, I had thought the same. But fate had other plans for me.
.
.
I slammed the door of my flat and locked it.
"Put this suitcase in the car," I instructed my driver, who nodded in response.