Chapter 17: Caring Soul

My heart dropped.

''You...'' I began, walking up to the hologram.

''... T-... T-They got me...'' Exia's lips quivered as she dropped her tablet. She was shaking.

''What do you mean they got you?!'' I shouted, reaching out before being restrained by Rapi as she held my arm.

I looked back at her, alarm plastered all over my face.

''Commander...'' Rapi tugged, trying to pull me back. ''I... Feel like it's time to end the call.''

''...'' I looked back at Exia, who was now gripping her hair as tears began to leak through her eyeholes.

Never once have I seen her cry.

Not like this...

Exia...

''I... I'm sorry...'' She whimpered, panic plastered all over her face. ''I made sure to take measures, how did this happen?...''

A vein popped up on my forehead as I thought about what to do.

If I don't act fast enough, Exia is going to die.

''Get out of there!'' Anis proposed, going up to the holographic version of Exia.

''That won't work! I'm a Nikke!'' Exia continued to panic. ''They'll just trace me!''

''Damn...'' Neon pondered for a moment. ''So, fighting back is not an option for you, is it?''

''Neon, this is not a joking matter.'' Rapi scolded as she looked at Exia. ''Exia, can you estimate how long it will take for Triangle to locate you?''

''T-They are already coming!'' Exia screamed. ''There's no escape from them! No Nikke has ever escaped Triangle!''

''Then you have to be the first!'' I shouted as I got right in front of the hologram. ''Exia, please! Do something! I've known you for far too long to lose you!''

Exia's eyes darted around her room, trying to find a way to resolve this situation. ''I... I...''

''Just...'' Sweat began dripping down my forehead. ''There's still time. You can do it. Find a way out.''

''...'' Exia let out a long sigh, deeply breathing in and out. ''Okay... Okay... I'll try.''

''Good.'' I smiled, no matter how panicked I looked. ''You need to live, okay? To whom will I give the Blossoming Sakura Mage Staff if you die?''

''V-Very funny.'' Exia giggled anxiously, sweat dripping down her face as she began to type away on her keyboard. ''This is just an assumption, but...''

''If I am able to hide my location again, I may be able to throw Triangle off.''  Exia explained. ''They don't have an idea of which Nikke tried to hack the Central Government's Private Database, so they shouldn't be able to trace it back to me... Yet. Even if they have my location, they have no proof that it's the legit one.''

''Do that.'' I began biting my nails in anticipation as I watched on.

''I told her not to try it.'' Shifty sighed. ''It's basically like wishing death. Nobody hacks the Central Government and gets away with it.''

''They have a perceptive security system, I'll give 'em that.'' Exia commented as she continued to type. ''The best choice I  have right now is changing my location to the Outer Rim and pinning the blame on another Nikke. But even then that has its ri-''

The sound of rough knocking stopped Exia in the middle of her sentence, making her jump as the panic came back.

The sounds of a door being broken were heard as multiple footsteps entered Exia's house.