Chapter 20: A Non-Guilty Confession

''It's getting too dark for us to keep advancing forward.'' Emma trekked alongside the sandy road. ''Should we just set up camp around here somewhere? We can get to Area H tomorrow morning.''

''And spent time with this sorry bunch of a squad?'' Eunhwa spat, irritated. ''Besides, we have better things to do than sleep.''

Wow. Still being a bitch?

''Nah, she's probably worried about us playing Tic Tac Toe on her forehead while she's asleep.''

Oh wow... That actually sounds kinda funny. Good thinking.

''Praise me more.''

No, and goodbye. I'm tuning you out now.

''Wait-!''

No.

Even though I clearly stopped listening to my supposed 'Daughter', I still heard an audible sigh run through my mind.

''Eunhwa, you do know that there's a human on board this time around, right?'' Emma placed a hand on Eunhwa's shoulder, stopping her.

''And?'' Eunhwa looked at Emma. ''It was his decision to come with us, so if he can't keep up, it's not our problem.''

I'm right next to her and she still keeps talking like this.

I swear, my issues are gonna get to me any moment now, and I will smash a boulder against that big-foreheaded tryhard of a Nikke.

Before anyone asks, yes, I am still angry that I couldn't get back at Syuen.

Shifty suddenly appears. ''Actually, a break right now would be a more plausible option. Since this mission heavily requires good sight.''

Speak of the devil, it's her.

''Hey Syuen.'' I gave off a small wave.

''...'' Shifty released a long sigh. ''For the last time. I. Am. Not. Syuen!''

''That's exactly what Syuen would say though.'' Anis joined the chat.

''But am no-''

''Who invited Syuen?'' Neon suddenly popped up. ''I thought we were supposed to keep this a secret?''

''I AM NOT SYUEN!'' Shifty finally decided to explode.

''Syuen?'' Rapi raised an eyebrow as she looked at Shifty. ''Is this another deep-fake?''

''...'' It felt like the area around Shifty's hologram was shaking as veins began to pop up on her forehead.

Oh wow, we really did strike a nerve. Maybe... Just maybe...

Maybe she really isn't Syuen?

''... Just...'' Shifty slouched over her desk. ''Set up camp here. It's too late for me to be getting this angry...'' She sighed.

''Okay Syuen.'' Nodded Neon.

''Fuck you. You... Ugh, forget it. Shifty, signing off.'' She ended the call, leaving us alone in the night.

''Father, I believe you are, as of now, indeed, suffering from what many would call ''Not Being Asleep''. I suggest setting up camp and going to bed, so you can join me in the dreamscape.''

Fuck, that sounds so schizophrenic.

''That's the point, Dad.''

Question. Should I get this checked out?

''Nobody would believe you, Father. No test would prove there's something wrong with you, and you would be left wandering around in the hospital, asking for help of something that isn't even there. Nobody will believe. No one. Go to the best therapist of The Ark, and even they would give up on you. And then, your final destination would be the Rehabilitation Center, where you would be classified as a mentally insane individual.''