Part 22

Dis, Terwyn, Farryn, Fili and Kili had been staring ahead into nothingness for hours, holding each other tightly waiting for news or something or someone to return. Terwyn felt as bad as the day she sat waiting for Frerin's return after which he then died in her arms. Again this battle seemed too tough to win, she would have loved to fight alongside Thorin, as did Dis but neither of them could fight well enough and a woman was not supposed to fight. So here Dis sat again waiting for her husband while Terwyn just waited for any sign of life while she held Dis eldest son Fili, and her own little son Farryn on her lap, keeping him warm while Dis held little Kili against her.

When they saw a small group returning towards evening, Terwyn felt Dis already stiffen with fear after which Fili and Terwyn immediately straightened up and looked up to see the few survivors already stumbling back. When Terwyn could distinguish Thorin from the group she placed Farryn beside her for a moment and started running.

"Thorin!" She shouted worriedly as she ran towards the injured dwarf prince. Once Terwyn reached him and quickly wrapped her arms around him to give them support she saw him looking up at her, stunned.

"Terry." He whispered looking pale after which the dwarf woman swiftly nodded "I'm here, it's okay, you're safe." She promised him.

His face shifted again for a moment as Terwyn escorted him further to the camp where Fili and Kili were also already looking around anxiously in search of their father. Dis looked up at Thorin with tears in her eyes.

"What happened." She whispered as a sob left her mouth.

"He is no more Dis." Thorin whispered back. After this, the past repeated itself with Dis' scream that left her mouth right before she sank to her knees weeping and begging that it was not true. Kili kept desperately call out to his father.

As his cries cut through everyone's bones, Thorin sat down next to Dis to comfort her as he once comforted Terwyn, while Terwyn ran to the crying Kili.

"Daddy! Daddy come back! I want my daddy!" The boy cried out with his elder brother Fili picking up his little brother like a young dwarf prince and holding him against him though Terwyn saw how hard he was struggling to be strong.

"Fili." She therefore whispered opening her arms to him after which he immediately let himself fall into them.

Terwyn pressed both boys tightly against her chest. "You are safe, Daddy is with you now forever!" She softly said. She did not cry, as if she could not cry, as if this was just a nightmare, an old memory replayed.

"Daddy is here boys, forever." Terwyn whispered again as she put her hand on their hearts, just as Frerin was forever with her and forever looking down on her from heaven, their father too would look down on them and still support them.

When she gave Kili a kiss on his head and set him down, he walked to his mum and Thorin after which Terwyn once more hugged Fili and pressed a kiss on his cheek. After this, she also took him to Dis and Thorin where Thorin gave the young dwarf prince Fili a pat on the back and also pulled him into his arms.

"I'm sorry boy." He said. Fili nodded understandingly and hugged Thorin before sitting down next to his mother. Terwyn meanwhile had picked up little Farryn, this one had no idea what was happening. "I'm here for you Dis." Terwyn whispered softly as she rubbed her back comfortingly and rested her head against Dis's.

"You're not alone dear sister, we'll be fine." Terwyn whispered comfortingly to her. Terwyn herself then pulled back for a moment to put Farryn to bed.

"Today is a sad day dear, just try to sleep and hopefully tomorrow will be different." Terwyn addressed the little boy. Not knowing what she was going to tell him. Finally, the little dwarf closed his eyes vigorously and fell asleep, leaving Terwyn to go back to the rest. They stayed like that for a while as it was already getting dark, eventually Kili fell asleep in Thorin's arms and Fili sat between Dis and Terwyn with his head half asleep on Dis' shoulder. Dis and Terwyn decided they had better send them to bed after which Dis took Kili from Thorin and Terwyn pulled Fili into her arms and carried the already slightly bigger boy to the tent. As Dis tucked Kili in, Terwyn's fingers slid through Fili's hair once more.