Chapter 3 - Self-Interest

Bonaparte had truly resolved to cooperate with Cloumille. Despite declaring cooperation to his staff, explaining cooperation to the soldiers, and even declaring so to Cloumille herself, until this moment, there had been another option in Bonaparte's mind.

But now, the decision was made. Acting upon a decision once made was also Bonaparte's creed.

Bonaparte grasped Cloumille's beautiful hand firmly.

"Let's get to work."

Bonaparte's group was guided to Cloumille's residence. Among the villages, this was the only one made of stone with vivid white paint on the roofs.

Led into the largest dining hall, a large map was spread out on a big table, and everyone surrounded it. To facilitate communication, everyone held hands, making it look like some sort of ritual to an onlooker.

"Our target is the Swordsmith City, which is a ten-day journey from here. According to the scouts' reports, the enemy numbers about ten thousand, with approximately a thousand knights and cavalry combined, and nine thousand infantry," Cloumille reiterated to everyone.

"Our forces consist of ten mounted knights and four hundred infantry. Among the infantry, there are less than a hundred equipped with armor," added Abydod, a knight who served as Cloumille's retainer.

Though appearing to be around fifty years old, Abydod was full of vigor, with short-cropped black hair and green eyes filled with determination, as observed by Bonaparte.

"And... from the land across River of the Sun, the nation of France, we have reinforcements led by Lord Napoleon Bonaparte, numbering about five thousand. Additionally, there are twenty-five thousand troops stationed at the beach," Cloumille proudly announced.

"However... pardon my bluntness, but the forces of Lord Napoleon Bonaparte seem somewhat unreliable. We don't see any knights, and the infantry lacks armor and helmets," another man beside Abydod expressed somewhat anxiously.

Being called 'unreliable' by these countrymen who didn't even know what a gun was was displeasing to Bonaparte, but he endeavored to not let it show.

"No need to worry. My soldiers will prove more useful than you all anticipate," Bonaparte asserted, scanning each of Cloumille's subordinates with his grayish-blue eyes.

"Soldiers are soldiers. Bonaparte's soldiers number thirty thousand. That's more than enough to defeat the enemy."

"Queen Cloumille, five thousand troops are enough to defeat ten thousand enemies."

Everyone tilted their heads at Bonaparte's statement.

"There are two reasons for advancing with five thousand. Firstly, the roads to the city are treacherous, or rather, nonexistent. Unsuitable for a large army's movement. Gathering all troops stationed at the beach now would miss the opportune moment for battle. Secondly, by presenting our army as a small force to the enemy, we can make them believe they can easily defeat us, thus enticing them to march out from the city. If we approach with superior numbers, they might choose to retreat into the city or burn their supplies and flee. We want to minimize that possibility. Our army needs the provisions in the city, and it's crucial to acquire them intact. By making the enemy believe they can easily defeat us, we aim to crush them in a single field battle."

"I understand the reasons, but is victory possible with only half the enemy's numbers?" Abydod inquired.

"Yes, it is!" Bonaparte responded forcefully.

An army of men who know neither cannon nor guns would be shocked and crumble in the face of bullets. Such arrogance dwelled within his heart.

"It seems Bonaparte is confident. I will trust him."

"But, Your Majesty, are you really intending to entrust everything to someone who has just arrived?"

Abydod said aloud so that Bonaparte and the others did not understand.

"There's no other choice," Cloumille told Abydod quietly yet firmly.

For Cloumille, there really was no other choice. She had only a handful of defeated soldiers left and had to rely on Bonaparte's military expertise and forces. It was either wager everything remaining or wait apprehensively to be captured. There were no other options.

. . .

After the meeting ended, Bonaparte and his subordinates were escorted to the second floor of the house, where the guest bedrooms were located.

Outside, the soldiers were either setting up tents or wrapping themselves in blankets. It was comforting to be able to sleep under a roofed structure.

"Can we trust them?" Berthier asked.

"I don't know. Trust doesn't matter. If they're smart, they'll understand they have no choice but to follow me. Five hundred soldiers can't handle ten thousand enemies."

"Do you really intend to fight alongside them? What will you tell the soldiers? This isn't Egypt or Africa. The soldiers will fight for France. But are you asking them to fight for a queen nobody knows in a world they don't understand?"

Berthier questioned as Bonaparte took off his military uniform and changed into the nightclothes brought by Eugène.

"For now, we need water and food. Regardless of anything else, I have a duty to feed my army. It's also my responsibility for bringing them to such a place. The quickest way to obtain water and food is to cooperate with the locals. So, we'll cooperate. But it won't be for long. Once we have water and food, we'll leave this place as soon as possible. As for the soldiers... tell them we're aiding allied tribes of France,"

Bonaparte explained as he poured himself a glass of water and drank.

"Berthier, instruct Admiral Brueys to prepare to leave this land."

"Understood."

"We'll march at dawn tomorrow. That will be all."

Bertie and Eugène bowed and left the room.

As they departed, Bonaparte lay down on the bed.

He never imagined things would turn out like this. Unfamiliar land, an unfamiliar country, a strange power. As he recalled various things, Bonaparte drifted off to sleep.