Chapter 56 - Weapons That Spiral

After inspiring the conscripted soldiers by demonstrating the system of promotions and medals, Bonaparte headed straight to one of the mansions allocated to the French army in the King's Landing. Cloumille, with a pile of work to handle at the royal palace, had to part ways with him.

"We have been expecting you, sir."

At the mansion's main gate, Bonaparte was greeted not only by his long-time subordinate, General Marmont, but also by two members of the scholarly entourage he had brought on his expedition: Nicolas Conté and Gaspard Monge. Conté, with an eye patch over his left eye, and Monge, with his prominent pointed nose, made a strikingly contrasting pair.

"Here is the report from the Artillery Committee."

Marmont stepped forward and handed over a stack of reports. After a brief glance, Bonaparte passed the stack to his adjutant, Eugène, who was standing by.

"So, what's the progress?"

Bonaparte's question was curt and blunt, the kind that would put most people off, but Marmont, unfazed, led Bonaparte to the courtyard with a confident smile. Passing through a beautifully paved colonnade, they reached a courtyard blooming with well-maintained flowers, where Bonaparte saw an incongruous, unusual object.

"What is this?"

"This is a model of the first cannon to be cast in this world," Monge answered proudly. Bonaparte took a closer look. It was indeed a cannon, but much smaller than the ones currently used by the French army. The carriage and wheels were significantly larger than the cannon itself.

"The Artillery Committee carefully and swiftly considered what would be the most desirable cannon from all perspectives: available resources, local technological standards, and the performance required by the army. The result is this 3-pounder cannon—quick to supply, cost-effective, easy to mass-produce, and user-friendly."

Monge explained confidently.

"Made of bronze, it weighs 300 kilograms. It can be moved by one horse or four soldiers. The production cost is low, and it's easy to deploy. While its range and power are somewhat limited, it can deal sufficient damage to the enemy, who tend to form densely packed formations."

Bonaparte nodded. Cannonballs would plow through enemy ranks, tearing apart limbs and torsos, sometimes penetrating seven or eight soldiers lined up vertically. This was one reason why line infantry used wide, thin formations—to minimize the number of men hit by a single cannonball.

The infantry in this world fought in dense, massive formations, effective for close combat with spears and swords, easy to command, and good at preventing routs, but very vulnerable to artillery fire. Even small cannonballs from this small cannon could cause significant damage.

"Alright. How many can we have ready by winter?"

"As of now, thirty. In parallel, we are preparing the facilities to manufacture larger cannons like 6-pounders and 12-pounders. Eventually, we will be able to produce cannons of sufficient quality and quantity. We are also setting up gunpowder production facilities."

Monge had been responsible for cannon manufacturing and gunpowder procurement during the rapid expansion of the French army under the Revolution. His eyes already saw the factories rapidly rising for war production, producing countless guns, cannons, and gunpowder under his command.

"Good. We'll use these in the field. But this cannon won't be enough to breach castle walls."

"For that, we have this."

Monge pointed to the object next to the small 3-pounder cannon. It was a piece reminiscent of a giant mortar or crucible, known as a howitzer. Unlike cannons, it was designed to launch projectiles high into the air.

"A 12-inch howitzer. Due to strength concerns, we had to make the barrel quite thick, making it heavier than our standard ones, but its power is sufficient. It's not suited for mobility, but for sieges, it's perfect."

"So, small cannons and these heavier cannons will be my new weapons."

"If we had more time and budget, we could make the same as we do in France. However, what's important for weapons is not perfection but whether they are available where and when needed. Isn't that right?"

Bonaparte smirked at Monge's words.

"Indeed. Go ahead and produce them. Also, ensure the training of the artillery operators in parallel."

"Understood. The weapons produced in our factories will bring liberty and equality to this world! Vive la République! Allons enfants de la Patrie, le jour de gloire est arrive—" Monge responded energetically.

Bonaparte noticed the smell of alcohol on his breath as Monge, apparently in high spirits, started singing a line from La Marseillaise. Monge was a staunch Republican.

"Have you been drinking, Professor?"

"Yes, sir! I have. Alcohol gives courage and vigor!"

"Moderation is key."

Bonaparte chose not to reprimand him. As long as the work was done, it didn't matter if he was drinking.

"Sir, aside from the cannons, I have another report."

Conté, emerging from Monge's side, addressed him. Conté's tools and inventions were indispensable to the French army and the scholars.

"Let's hear it."

Conté took out a gun. It looked identical to the muskets used by the French army.

"We focused on rapid production of hand cannons, but alongside that, we completed the manufacture of these guns. There are few, but I believe we can supply satisfactory firearms."

"That's good news. The hand cannons, while powerful, lack accuracy and can't be fitted with bayonets, limiting their use in melee combat."

"I've made a small modification to this gun. Please look down the barrel like a telescope."

Bonaparte did as told and looked into the barrel. At first, it seemed dark, but upon closer inspection, he noticed spiral grooves.

"A rifle."

"Yes, it's rifled. The grooves impart spin to the bullet, stabilizing its trajectory and improving accuracy."

"This type is more suited for hunting, skirmishers, and cavalry."

"Indeed. It's costly and takes longer to load, making it unsuitable for an army that prioritizes volume and speed of fire. However, in this world where gunpowder is precious, accuracy should be prioritized over rate of fire."

"That makes sense. But we can't produce enough to equip the entire army. Arming only some infantry won't significantly impact the battle. Focus on producing muskets."

"Wait, this rifle is necessary."

The interruption came from General Lannes, who commanded the conscripted soldiers.

"Conscripts, with low morale and training, need support from skirmishers. Equip these skirmishers with rifles. Even just a company of a hundred will do. Accurate shooting will boost the soldiers' morale."

Bonaparte had a sudden insight.

"Let's add to that. Equip the decorated soldiers with rifles. But keep their high accuracy a secret. Present them as heroes who hit their targets with seemingly inaccurate muskets. Conté, produce the rifles. Also, collect all the hunting rifles the scholars brought and supply them."

"Huh? Oh, understood. I'll prepare them immediately."

Conté was slightly taken aback by Bonaparte's abrupt change in stance. This man could switch his opinion in an instant if it made sense.

Bonaparte began envisioning a new army. Supported by small cannons and accurate skirmishers, protected by hand cannons, and advancing with pikemen towards the enemy. An army compensating for its lack of training with firepower, motivated by the prospect of promotion and honor.

It would be a somewhat archaic fighting style by Bonaparte's standards, reminiscent of older times. Yet, in this world of Gulbas, it would herald an entirely new era of warfare.