Chapter 21 - It's Grande Armée Time ④

"Meeting? With whom?"

"He called himself Neven," Berthier answered at Bonaparte's question.

"Neven? Who is this, Cloumille?"

"Well, I believe he's one of the leading merchants in this city. He made his fortune as a timber merchant using the river, and now he's also involved in money lending..."

"Money lending..."

Bonaparte scowled. He had a prejudice that moneylenders were unpleasant men who would greedily exploit both the poor and the kings, charging exorbitant interest rates without hesitation, sucking the lifeblood of people. They lend money to those in need, only to be hated when it's time to repay. As moneylenders, they were undoubtedly ungrateful, he might say.

"I don't like talking about moneylending."

"But we cannot raise the necessary war funds on our own. In any case, we must borrow money from them. Isn't it convenient that they're willing to come and meet us?"

"...Yes. Indeed, that's true."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Your Majesty, it is an honor to meet you. This humble subject, Neven, pays his respects."

The person who identified himself as Neven appeared to be of average build, slightly over forty years old. Despite his soft-spoken demeanor and gentle smile, even Bonaparte, who harbored prejudices against merchants as cold-hearted misers, couldn't help but feel his overall mild manner. Wearing an eye patch over his right eye and leaning on a cane, it seemed apparent that his physical condition was not particularly robust. The clothing adorned with gold embroidery indicated his wealth.

"I welcome you, Neven," Cloumille responded with a smile that could be described as captivating. Beside her, Bonaparte managed a somewhat awkward smile.

"The various technologies brought from France and the proposal from Lord Bonaparte earlier have left me deeply impressed. As expected of the Queen's friend. Your power is beyond our imagination. When these technologies spread among the common people, Tallgrassland—no, the entire Gulbas—will prosper and flourish."

"Then, Monsieur Neven, what are your requirements? I assume you didn't request this meeting just to convey your admiration?"

Sensing that Neven was about to start a lengthy conversation, Bonaparte interjected. Despite being interrupted, Neven showed no sign of displeasure and maintained his gentle smile.

"Let's get straight to the point. I will lend Your Majesty fifty thousand minar gold coins."

Cloumille and Bonaparte exchanged glances.

"Judging from Your Majesty's call for recruitment, I surmised that this amount is necessary. If needed, I am prepared to provide even more funds."

"Unfortunately, it seems the required amount will be raised at this gathering."

Of course, this was a bluff. The amount raised from the sales of schools and educational materials was insufficient. Rather than simply accepting the merchant's offer with gratitude, Bonaparte's intention was to leverage such bluffs to negotiate favorable terms.

"Congratulations on that. However, Lord Bonaparte's troops, if I remember correctly, number thirty thousand. No matter the amount of funds, it would be good to have enough to sustain such a force."

Bonaparte was astonished that Neven had nearly accurate knowledge of his own troops. He had only brought ten thousand to this meeting. The total troop strength was classified information. Perhaps one of the princes had let slip.