Chapter 33 - People Standing by Your Side

Part 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cloumille woke up at the crowing of the rooster. It was odd to find herself asleep in a farmer's house, atop a bed adorned with decorations. As she tidied her tousled hair with a comb, there came a knock on the door, and the attendants, maidens, arrived to assist her with her morning preparations.

"Good morning, Suira. It's a lovely morning, isn't it?"

"Good morning, Lady Cloumille. Yes, it is. The wind is nice, and it's sunny."

Cloumille surrendered herself comfortably to her maid Suira, who helped her out of her nightclothes and into her day attire. Suira had been one of the attendants who had stayed with her even during her times of defeat in battles, when she had been hiding and fleeing from place to place. At fifteen years of age, agile like a chestnut-colored small animal, she wore a short dagger at her waist, serving as the queen's last shield.

After changing, when Cloumille left her room, she entered the living area of the farmer's house. Cracked earth walls were adorned with mismatched red curtains and carpets, serving as a makeshift audience chamber. From the morning, nobles seeking the queen's audience or their representatives had gathered. Compared to the court, where there would have been dozens, this was modest.

The first to seek an audience was the chief of Sazaraton, a village under the influence of Riverside City. He was an elderly man, over sixty, with thinning white hair, yet he walked without the aid of a cane.

"Thank you for coming, Chief of Sazaraton. The war is progressing well. I heard your grandson has taken to horseback. He will make a fine warrior."

"Long live the victory of Her Majesty the Queen. Thank you for remembering my grandson. When he grows up, he too will fight for the Queen. I've come today to discuss the wheat harvest. Unfortunately, it's been poor, and the harvest is meager."

"That won't do. Is there enough to eat? Let's hope the spirits grant a bountiful harvest next year."

"Yes. Relying on the mercy of Her Majesty the Queen, I've come to request a reduction in wheat taxes."

"...I understand. Let's reduce this year's taxes. We'll make up for it when the harvest is plentiful."

"On behalf of the entire village, we thank the merciful and generous Queen."

In this manner, they each came with their respective requests.

. . .

Once that was over, breakfast began. The two young men, Nicket and Norcet, joined her for the meal. These two, about the same age as Cloumille, were twins. Even their uncle, Abydod, couldn't tell them apart, so they each wore a red or white cloth wrapped around their heads to distinguish themselves. Red for Nicket and white for Norcet.

Norcet spoke excitedly. "Your Majesty, we've received news from Uncle Abydod of Riverside City. Count Sarpamad and Duke Rossowam are each leading a thousand soldiers to join Your Majesty's forces. With this, our army will be even stronger!"

"That's good news."

Cloumille took a sip of the egg soup brought by the servant.

"Both Count Sarpamad and Duke Rossowam are cunning men. They'll likely say, 'We didn't arrive in time for the battle, but we're on your side,' if we win, and if we lose, they'll probably intend to pursue us and curry favor with Dahad," Nicket continued, his voice carrying a tone of sharpness absent in Norcet's.

"There's also bad news. Duke Glemot has withdrawn, claiming sudden illness. Perhaps he got scared when Dahad himself marched out. This is the fifth one to leave. There seems to be an increase in desertions among the soldiers, and we might barely reach three thousand now... Cowards, all of them!"