Chapter 13 - Beyond the Victory

I'd love to come up with some cool subtitles.

- Nagagutsu Kumage Bōshi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It seems quite a sacrifice has been made."

Bonaparte walked with Eugène through the battlefield, stained crimson with blood and the setting sun. Organs and limbs were scattered, blood forming small puddles. French soldiers who were still breathing were carried to makeshift aid stations by their comrades.

In these makeshift stations, crude tables were set up where military surgeons swiftly amputated injured soldiers' limbs using saws and tourniquets. With no anesthesia available, the unfortunate soldiers were given strong liquor to drink or were made to bite down on pieces of wood before enduring the agonizing pain of the saw teeth tearing through their flesh and bone, screaming in agony. However, since the enemy did not use firearms or cannons, only a few underwent such procedures. Most were treated by cauterizing wounds from sword or arrow strikes with heated irons, or being stitched up with needle and thread.

The corpses awaited their turn to be collected and buried. Birds, appearing from nowhere, circled eerily overhead, forming loops. The birds weren't the only ones interested in the corpses; nearby residents, as part of the battlefield routine, also helped in clearing the bodies, stripping them of their equipment.

"Have we lost any cannons or muskets to the enemy?"

"We still have all our cannons. As for guns, I'm not sure."

"Retrieve as many as possible."

"Yes, sir."

Bonaparte pointed to those scavenging equipment, clothing, and arms from the dead.

"Stop those scavengers picking over the bodies of our French soldiers."

"Understood."

At Eugène's signal, the escorting soldiers approached the scavengers and drove them away with their sabers. They grumbled but eventually dispersed to search other corpses.

. . .

Bonaparte arrived where the soldiers of the 13th Demi-Brigade, which suffered the most casualties, were gathered. Despite their exhaustion, they stood at attention and cheered when they saw their commander.

"You've done well. I am satisfied with your bravery."

Bonaparte individually addressed each soldier, shaking their hands, all stained reddish-black with soot and blood.

"Allow me to introduce the brave skirmishers of our unit, Vigo and Jacques."

Two soldiers, Vigo with a mustache and Jacques with a youthful face, stepped forward as they were introduced to Bonaparte's presence.

"They stood their ground while our unit retreated and obstructed the enemy's advance."

"Brave indeed. Truly. Your names and deeds will be recorded in the official reports. The whole army will know your names."

"We are honored, sir."

Bonaparte took out a small handkerchief from his pocket and handed it to them.

"This is for your bravery."

"Thank you, sir," Vigo replied shortly.

After exchanging words of encouragement with the soldiers lined up, Bonaparte noticed the absence of the brigade commander.

"Where is the battalion commander?"

A young officer responded to his inquiry. "Captain Froman was injured and taken away. Our brigade lost two hundred men."