Chapter 19 - It's Grande Armée Time ②

"Age, gender, status, work history, and all other considerations are irrelevant.

Requirements: Health, loyalty, bravery.

Enlistment bonus: Four minar gold coins, Daily wage: One eni silver coin, equipment provided.

Those who serve 25 years of military service will be granted land upon retirement.

Recruitment target: Ten thousand people.

Those interested in enlisting should apply to the monarch's recruitment officer..."

Signs like this were posted everywhere in the taverns, meeting halls, markets, theaters, bathhouses, and various other places in Riverside City. People who could read or those appointed to make announcements would listen with keen interest as these were read aloud. Four minar gold coins represented the amount a skilled craftsman's foreman would earn in half a year. One eni silver coin equated to slightly more than the daily wage of an average laborer. Regardless, the allure of stable pay regardless of social status or occupation was undeniable. In this world, acquiring a trade was exceedingly difficult. It was customary for a craftsman's child to become a craftsman and a farmer's child to become a farmer, but out of ten children, only one could become a foreman or landowner, leaving the rest to work mostly unpaid under them. If one couldn't endure such circumstances, they had no choice but to leave for the city, but there were no stable jobs to be found anywhere. Even if one wanted to make a living as a mercenary with a sword, they first needed the money to buy a sword and armor. No one would hire a youngster with only a stick in hand and the clothes on their back. In this world, it was essential to provide your own equipment.

Many ambitious but directionless young people could be found in the city. For them, these postings seemed attractive. They were offered a full set of equipment and gold. It seemed worth risking their lives for. It was surely better than languishing here...

"To think they demand a hundred thousand minar gold coins just for the enlistment bonus and equipment expenses alone! Where in the world are we supposed to find such a huge sum? What did that Bonaparte tell Her Majesty!?"

In the office of the Aurault Palace, the Queen's chief retainer Abydod was howling at Bonaparte with a face flushing red all the way to his ears. Beside him, listening, was Bonaparte's confidant and chief of staff, Berthier. He didn't understand his Gulbese language, but he got the gist.

"Our Supreme Commander speaks nonsense and dumps the administrative work on us..."

. . .

Meanwhile, the instigator behind these posters aimed at gathering young people, Bonaparte, had left Riverside City with his retinue, including Cloumille, and was riding with a few guards towards Swordsmith City.

The outskirts of the city were suddenly bustling with activity. Tents for 20.000 French troops, transferred from the beach, and simple French-style houses for officers stood side by side, creating a situation reminiscent of 'Little France.' Among them were stalls of merchants from Tallgrassland, doing business with the soldiers. Amidst all this, there stood an exceptionally large building. It was a workshop built by scholars brought by Bonaparte.

"Supreme Commander!"

The first to greet Bonaparte and his companions upon entering Little France was General Caffarelli, who commanded the engineering corps. His prominent aquiline nose gave him an unforgettable impression. He had lost his left leg in war and wore an intricate prosthetic.

"General Caffarelli, how are the scholars doing?"

"Just as the reports say. But it would be best if you see for yourself. Please, come in immediately."