Chapter 29 - Report

"To the soldiers of the Grande Armée: Colonel Joachim Murat, commander of our esteemed cavalry, led fifty soldiers at the forefront of our army and engaged in battle with over a hundred enemy cavalry attempting to burn down the bridge over a tributary of the Saole River. He captured over fifty prisoners and forced the remainder into retreat. During this encounter, Colonel Murat displayed unparalleled skill in French horsemanship, capturing the enemy commander and achieving an incomparable feat. This glorious deed shall be recorded. The Senate of France and the Five Hundred Committee shall proclaim his immortal glory, and the entire nation shall rejoice in the news of victory. All soldiers should emulate Colonel Murat's courage, valor, and swift decisive actions, befitting the beginning of this campaign..."

Two days had passed since Murat defeated the enemy guarding the bridge over the tributary of the Saole River. In the midst of a procession of thousands of men on a well-maintained road, Vigo, a seasoned soldier with a mustache, read aloud from elaborately adorned scraps of paper fluttering in the air. These pieces of paper, handed down from the soldiers ahead, were part of the army newspaper "Camarades d'armes," which Bonaparte had ordered to be issued when he named the army the Grande Armée. It contained accounts of comrades' exploits, advisories, and information about this foreign world of Gulbas for the French soldiers.

"Vigo, that's not important right now. Please hurry and read Marianne. That's the only thing I look forward to..."

Walking alongside, Jacques, a young soldier still displaying traces of immaturity, grumbled. The two of them, shoulder to shoulder, formed a pair of skirmishers deployed ahead of the line infantry, ready to shower the enemy with gunfire.

"Alright, alright... 'The young maiden Marianne rendezvoused with the young man Alan in the stable that night. The horses had already gone to the battlefield, leaving the two to lie folded together on a bed of hay, bathed in the moonlight that illuminated Marianne's translucent, soft skin, while Alan's sturdy fingers...' Is this interesting? Last time I read, Marianne was kissing Alan. Before that, they were playing by the river. When is Alan going off to war?"

"Please, just read on."

Jacques was urging him to continue reading the story of Marianne, written at the bottom of the newspaper, a serialized love story between the young maiden Marianne and the young soldier Alan. It was well-received among the soldiers.

"Jacques, I understand. I want to. Speak Gulbese. I do."

Interrupting their conversation was Wafcarel, a young hand cannoneer with dark red hair reminiscent of a kite's tail and emerald-green eyes as beautiful as jade, who stood about the height of their shoulders. She approached them with a notebook containing basic translations of French to Gulbese and spoke halting French. Walking every day without end took its toll not just physically but also mentally, and Wafcarel sought someone to alleviate her boredom with conversation.

Jacques took the notebook from Wafcarel.

"Talk. Dinner. Meat..."

"Fun. Wait."

As the two engaged in a heartwarming conversation, Vigo handed the newspaper to the soldier behind him. The vanguard seemed to have secured victory, and the path was clear. For now, the weather was good, and there were no enemy attacks. Hopefully, things will continue smoothly. But beyond lay more intense battles. He hoped bullets and bayonets would spare these two... That's what he thought.

. . .

The six-horse carriage carrying Bonaparte was positioned in the center of the entire army. Painted red, its presence could be recognized from afar. Currently, the procession had stopped in a village somewhere between the King's Landing and Riverside City for a lunch break. The horses, finally relieved from their heavy labor, were allowed to graze on the lush grasslands befitting the name of Tallgrassland. Similarly, the soldiers unloaded their heavy burdens and began preparing for their meals.

Grande Armée in Another World: The Eagle and the QueenOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara